Search the forum,

Discuss How do I replace a double-check/non-return valve? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I need to replace the double-check/non-return valve on the pipe that goes out to the back garden tap under the sink. I got the correct replacement part, but I am not sure actually how to remove the original non-return valve on the pipe. When I loosen the two nuts, it can slide a bit back and forth between the olives, but I'm not sure how I can remove the olives and even then how to get the valve off the pipe.

Do I have to take the whole pipe out or something? I am new to this sort of thing so there may be something obvious I'm missing.

(see attached pictures for clarity)

IMG_0939 2.jpeg

IMG_0930.jpeg

You don’t need to remove the nuts or olives, just reuse them with the new one - make sure you fit it the corrrect way around, there is an arrow to show direction of flow.

To remove the old one you need to pull one of the pipes away from it - whichever one has least restrictions from elbows, tees, passing through holes etc.

If you take a spanner and rotate the body of the non return valve a few times this will free off any jointing compound that may have been used.

You don’t need to remove the nuts or olives, just reuse them with the new one - make sure you fit it the corrrect way around, there is an arrow to show direction of flow.

To remove the old one you need to pull one of the pipes away from it - whichever one has least restrictions from elbows, tees, passing through holes etc.

If you take a spanner and rotate the body of the non return valve a few times this will free off any jointing compound that may have been used.
Thanks so much for your reply. So I did try when I first loosened the nuts to pull the pipes apart to get it out but there wasn’t much give at all. The vertical pipe on the left is also connected to a pipe of the same length right above.

But maybe I wasn’t pulling hard enough when trying to move the pipe enough to make room to remove the valve for fear of breaking it.

Should I be trying with more force to pull the pipes apart to make room to remove the valve or if there’s not much give is there another way to do it?

Yep, more force!

Only other thing is if there is some other compression fitting you could undo to free things up.

But I would just pull the pipe in the right out, knowing that in the unlikely event that I caused a problem - I would be able to fix it.

Reply to How do I replace a double-check/non-return valve? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock