Search the forum,

Discuss How do I prevent water meter from freezing? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Attached is a photo of my water meter, installed on the inside of an exterior wall.

During the winter months, I am living elsewhere. So there is no water movement.

Because the basement is unheated, the water meter has been a casualty of freezing even though the water main is always shut off when I am not here.

Because I am not willing to heat the basement for the sole purpose of protecting the water meter from freezing and bursting, I am wondering if installing a drain valve in the circled area would solve the problem since it would ensure there isn’t residual water in the meter or connecting supply lines.

I’ve considered installing self regulating heat tape but because it is not approved for use in inside walls, that alone is a disqualifier. Still, if I removed the hinged door, the area would be pretty well open.

Another idea might be a meter insulation jacket such as the one by ABT Water Store - https://store.abtwater.com.

Whatever method I end up trying, I have to be reasonably certain it will be successful. I have already gone through two meters and don’t want to be in trouble again with the water authority.

So what are your thoughts and suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3089.jpg
    IMG_3089.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 18
If your elsewhere it might be best to have a drain off fitted after the meter so you can winterised eg drain all the water out etc

If it's just the meter that is getting frozen and damaged rather than the rest of the pipe work how about fitting isolation valves either side of the meter and within that a drain cock so you can isolate the meter ss well as drain any water from the meter without having to drain down the whole system?

I’ve considered installing self regulating heat tape but because it is not approved for use in inside walls, that alone is a disqualifier. Still, if I removed the hinged door, the area would be pretty well open.
Why don't you check with the water authority/the heat tap manufacturers whether they consider that to be 'inside a wall'? My feeling is that, if there's a door, the area accessible from that door is a cupboard and not 'inside a wall'.

Reply to How do I prevent water meter from freezing? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in Azerbaijan and am looking to revamp the water system in my house. The first thing is that I don't have a water meter - probably a good thing as my mother in law pours tonnes of water on the garden in summer, mostly watering weeds as she can't tell the difference from grass. But the...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
I had a boiler check today all went well, and then he went to check on the gas meter which is in my larder in the kitchen high up on the wall. That wasn’t too much of an issue, although the gas engineer did say that it wasn’t a common place to have it, but it was there when we moved in so...
Replies
Views
C
I live in an ex local authority end terrace house. I am unsure if I have an underground leak from a water pipe? Scottish Water tell me they can't help as there is no loss of water pressure and it's beyond the pavement. The tarmac at both corners are often damp, the front corner looks like the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock