Search the forum,

Discuss How difficult would it be to install an outside tap? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

As the title suggests i'd like to install an outside tap. I've only got 1 location for it really but i just wanted to know how difficult it will be? Because it's the right weather to have one fitted and having a hose is easier for certain tasks instead of using a watering can all the time. I have seen a few tap kits, some of them cheap and some of them are expensive, but i also know i'd need a mega long masonry drill bit to create the hole for the pipe. If anyone needs pictures i'll post them. Thanks.

It would all depend on your diy plumbing skills, I don’t like the diy kits as they only pierce the pipe, often resulting in a poor flow. Get a garden tap kit with the through the wall pipe and this should suffice.

If you have no other use for the drill bit you would need to buy, get a few plumber to do it for you- they’ll have all the gear and the overall cost would be not much more.

Thanks for the answers. It wouldn't fuss me really if i had to pay a bit extra for the drill bits, as i've seen a pack of 3 on Amazon with different lengths. How much would a plumber charge? As i've seen a garden tap kits on Screwfix etc with all the parts but i'd assume the one i saw on the B&M website would not last.

It’s appears some of the kits have changed, but still wouldn’t get one of them. The B&M one is the type that’s likely to reduce the flow. Might be best as @Ben-gee and get a plumber in?

Thanks for the answers. It wouldn't fuss me really if i had to pay a bit extra for the drill bits, as i've seen a pack of 3 on Amazon with different lengths. How much would a plumber charge? As i've seen a garden tap kits on Screwfix etc with all the parts but i'd assume the one i saw on the B&M website would not last.
Best just buy one quality drill bit or core drill bit. Can you include a link to the kit you are to thinking of, and a photo of the brickwork(?) point to the intended tap position. Avoid any kits that pierce the supply pipe.

Also a funny question - do you have hard or soft water (as outside taps, or the feed, should now have non-return valves, which tend to gum up with hard water, so devise something for easy maintenance).

Unless you enjoy it, I would use a professional for this, especially if the supply is from under the sink - a critical area for plumbing.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)

I'll send some photos of the brickwork and the pipes under the sink. I will also send a link of the tap kit i found which was £17 or £20 i think which included everything. I'd like to test my DIY skills, but if it's going to be mega complex/annoying i'll get a plumber if they won't charge a lot for the job. Thanks again.

79669 is the product code on Toolstation for the garden tap kit i saw. I can't post a link

photo_2022-07-02_20-52-34 (2).jpg
photo_2022-07-02_20-52-34.jpg
photo_2022-07-02_20-54-13.jpg

photo_2022-07-02_20-52-34 (3).jpg

When fitting an outside tap, most are joined to the domestic cold water under the sink, where hopefully, there is enough room to work.

The connection does not have to be made under the sink but it is ideally made to a cold water pipe which is carrying cold water under mains pressure. To feed an outside tap from water coming from your cold water tank will seriously affect other peoples use of the water coming from this tank.

When mains water comes to a property it must feed at least one tap with mains pressure before it goes up to a cold water tank so double check that the pipe you want to connect to is under mains water pressure.

When fitting an outside tap, most are joined to the domestic cold water under the sink, where hopefully, there is enough room to work.

The connection does not have to be made under the sink but it is ideally made to a cold water pipe which is carrying cold water under mains pressure. To feed an outside tap from water coming from your cold water tank will seriously affect other peoples use of the water coming from this tank.

When mains water comes to a property it must feed at least one tap with mains pressure before it goes up to a cold water tank so double check that the pipe you want to connect to is under mains water pressure.
Thanks for the reply. I'll think i will ask around and see how much plumbers will charge, because i'm good at DIY but this job is a bit too complex for me and i don't want to put holes in pipes etc lol.

Reply to How difficult would it be to install an outside tap? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock