Search the forum,

Discuss How can we find/fix leaking pipes when the pipes are set within a concrete floor in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have had a long term problem with damp in our bungalow which exacerbated when we changed from the use of a system boiler (with pressure only from a tank in the roof of our bungalow) to a combi boiler (with full mains pressure) and a major leak was then found and dealt with.
(This leak had been in a bend in radiator pipes that were set in the bungalow's concrete floor and had previously been undetected. The faulty section of pipe had been beneath the floor of the bathroom and had not shown even when the lino had been taken up during other renovations. Nonetheless, this leak could have been a major source of damp in the rest of the house as damp could have spread about under the damp course to other rooms in the house).
Our changing to the combi boiler brought instant flooding with adjacent carpets being saturated but, even after the major leak was fixed, the general problem of damp in the house seemed to be worse than it was before our change of boilers. Windows attract condensation to the extent of drips could fall off the metal window handles and from the above window tilework and mold patches can form in on walls and ceilings.
Flooring has been removed from most of the house (with exceptions being a small wetroom and kitchen) and there is only one small (approx 200mm diameter) dark patch on the concrete. I think that this feels wetter than the rest of the floor but I'm unsure whether it is discoloured for another reason. There are paint marks etc. on the floor in various places. I've also placed waterproof sheeting down in other places in the house which seemed to let patches of the floor get darker.
At present, I'm wondering what I can do to find the leak so as to best advise a plumber. I was thinking of using either of two options of humidity meter, either a probe-based meter to try to detect directly in the concrete floor or an air-based humidity meter which could be placed under a glass bowl on the floor in various locations in the house.
Any thoughts on the best ways to proceed would be appreciated. Ultimately we want to know that the house is damp-free and preferably before next winter when dampness will again become a more major issue.
We are looking to sell the property but could remain for another winter to ensure that problems are solved. However, it may be possible to conduct humidity tests in parallel with an adjacent property to compare results now.

As above post, try to find a hot spot on floor when heating system is operating. Heard of a house owner who managed to locate leak at heating pipe by using a digital thermometer

As above post, try to find a hot spot on floor when heating system is operating. Heard of a house owner who managed to locate leak at heating pipe by using a digital thermometer
there should be no copper pipes in concrete, as they will rot in time due to the lime etc. in concrete,
any pipe in copper under concrete should be wrapped, or sleeved in plastic,
once found gas leak, due to pipe set in concrete, the pipe fell apart as we took it out.

From experience - parents had almost exactly this issue - we had the concrete up several times and bridged in plastic but it’s a sticking plaster at best.
The pressure drop is sometimes more, sometimes less. It’s not great to have to keep introducing new mains water into the system regularly...
Long term solution seems to be that we will eventually have to re-pipe all of the downstairs in drops from the ceiling...

Reply to How can we find/fix leaking pipes when the pipes are set within a concrete floor in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock