Search the forum,

Discuss How can these things happen and best course of action for repair? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, guys a while back there was supposedly a leak coming from my bathroom to the flat below me, but I don't think the leak was actually from my bath or toilet. What could have caused this as it seems there is always some sort of leak no matter if bath or toilet is replaced etc. Have you seen this kind of damage and what is normally the cause?
20171224_172501.jpg

20171224_163349.jpg

20171224_164231.jpg

Seal around the bath ok ?

Last year I went to a job with similar problem. As well as mould, the downstairs flat had a thriving wall of mushrooms.

Thought we found the leak, but it was not big enough to account for the issue. Almost accidentally, I spotted a jet of water, tucked away. The copper pipe was pinholed and probably was for a long time.

So it is a case of getting access to the pipes in the rear and having a good look using good lighting.

Merry Christmas

Last year I went to a job with similar problem. As well as mould, the downstairs flat had a thriving wall of mushrooms.

Thought we found the leak, but it was not big enough to account for the issue. Almost accidentally, I spotted a jet of water, tucked away. The copper pipe was pinholed and probably was for a long time.

So it is a case of getting access to the pipes in the rear and having a good look using good lighting.

Merry Christmas

Merry Xmas to you too!
I cant see any copper behind just waste pipes, could it be coming from outside the building you think?

Personally i would go for tile grout to bath seal joint area by the looks of the streaking on plaster behind bath.
Also looks like tiles only reach to edge of bath which is fine if you are not using a shower or shower head a unless with screen that has been properly fitted.
I would strip out old sealant around bath & then re-grout/re-seal.
Marry Christmas,
Andy (Allgoode)

Personally i would go for tile grout to bath seal joint area by the looks of the streaking on plaster behind bath.
Also looks like tiles only reach to edge of bath which is fine if you are not using a shower or shower head a unless with screen that has been properly fitted.
I would strip out old sealant around bath & then re-grout/re-seal.
Marry Christmas,
Andy (Allgoode)

Nothing to do with the bath, its sealed fine. : (
Merry xmas.

Don't be too quick to blame your plumbing. Another possibility is penetrating damp, due to rain being blown by wind into gaps in pointing or around drainpipes/overflows that have not been sealed properly.

What's on the otherside of the affected wall and what's above your bathroom?

Don't be too quick to blame your plumbing. Another possibility is penetrating damp, due to rain being blown by wind into gaps in pointing or around drainpipes/overflows that have not been sealed properly.

What's on the otherside of the affected wall and what's above your bathroom?

As I said no leak from bath or toilet, but the property was built by muppets/cowboys by my observation of wiring and pluming under the sink and a multitude of other questionable things, but anyway...
I have been thinking this myself, that maybe its coming from outside and running down the wall when it rains or something like that.
The roof is above the bathroom....

Could be a leak that shows when you flush the toilet or empty the bath

1 (2).jpg
2 (2).jpg
Negative. I think it must be from in the wall or above the property getting into the walls somehow :-(
Think its coming from huge waste pipe in the wall. I never knew what this square wood screwed into my living room wall was so I removed it, and its just covering a HUGE cut out in the wall, and whats behind it?....a huge waste pipe.
So seems in this has been going on before I even occupied the property. They attempted to fix the problem in the past and left this huge hole in the wall and just covered it with a piece of wood. I guess I know why their is bubbling on the living room wall now too.

I went to something similar in the past. Badly fitted tiles. Hope you sort your problem.

ok, the leak does not have to be coming from that Particular area, water finds its lowest point? also, in that ducting, is there a Soil vent that goes through the roof? had this in the past with rainwater.

Do you have a flat above yours?? Looks personally like the seal aroumd the bath. Have you directed your shower head around the seal and checked nothing is weeping?

Saying is there a flat above because i found a wastepipe that had come apart under boards of a flat on the 4th floor, travelled down stud walls and was only showing on ground floor ceiling.

ok, the leak does not have to be coming from that Particular area, water finds its lowest point? also, in that ducting, is there a Soil vent that goes through the roof? had this in the past with rainwater.
I really do think that is what the cause is. Trying to get someone in, who knows what they are doing.

Do you have a flat above yours?? Looks personally like the seal aroumd the bath. Have you directed your shower head around the seal and checked nothing is weeping?

Saying is there a flat above because i found a wastepipe that had come apart under boards of a flat on the 4th floor, travelled down stud walls and was only showing on ground floor ceiling.

Yep. Sounds like whats going on. The waste pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How can these things happen and best course of action for repair? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I have been a plumber for 3 years now, I haven't come across many issues with water hammer so I'm not to sure what to do. it happens on the hot pipework, more specifically the hot taps in the bathroom (basin and bath). but it only seems to happen when I open the hot tap to a...
Replies
Views
Hi.. Flat upstairs had a leak over Christmas - They were on holiday and some damage was caused to my flat. The tenants above explained that the leak came from the valve below the main water supply handle, and that a plumber came only a month beforehand to fix this part, that then leaked again...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock