Search the forum,

Discuss How can I get heat into Gravity Fed UFH system in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks, I’m in need of some sound advice.

We have recently had a ground floor extension and have had underfloor heating (company: JK UFH) installed throughout most of the downstairs. We have a few rads still left downstairs and the entire upstairs is still heated through rads.

We have a vented (gravity fed) central heating system (about 0.3 bar), heated from an oil fired Thermecon boiler. The header tank is in the loft and the boiler in the garage. It’s an S plan setup with two 2 port valves that control the flow to the CH and to the water heater tank (immersion).

The plumbers have just connected the UFH as a direct T -off from the flow (just after the boiler) and the return just before the boiler, as the UFH manifold is in the garage also.

The UFH has not been placed on a separate thermostat or controlled with a separate port valve, therefore it’s a dumb system and will only receive hot water if either the hot water tank or the CH are calling for heat. My plan is to get it on its own zone, however as things stand, I simply can’t get it to get hot at all. The best I’ve managed is 30 degrees while the boiler is running.

The pipework from the boiler to the manifold and CH is 22mm and all rads are on 15mm

My understanding is that I have the following options, however I’m a little in the dark as to the best course of action, so any advice and opinions would be welcome.

• I’m told that an additional pump is needed to get the hot water sent to the UFH manifold, however where would this pump go? before or after the T-off to the UFH manifold? Also, would a second pump run the risk of over pumping into the header tank, adding crap into the system? Or should this pump replace the current one on the first floor.
  • Install more valves to enable the UFH to be diverted all hot water at the times it requires it, therefore going from a 2 valve to a 3 valve system. I’m thinking this will mean that the UFH will only get hot if the others are not calling for heat.
  • Make the CH system unvented (pressurised) with an expansion vessel and filling loop. My worry here is that pressurising the system might find weakness in the pipework (house was built in 1990). Also I’m guessing that even after this is done, I still need to zone the UFH onto its own circuit.
  • I’ve read that Installing a plate heat exchanger to the UFH would add pressure and get the heat through the system, however I’ve no Idea if this is a valid option and I’m assuming I still need to zone the UFH off.
  • Some combination of the above
I have linked an image of my setup. I’m not a plumber so please let me know if I have missed some crucial piece of information here.

My Setup

Whoever did the underfloor has totally shafted you.

Connections to manifold after pump, additional 2 port valve for control.

You say it runs throughout ground floor, do you not have room thermostats that will control actuators on the manifold.

Really needs eyes on by a competent engineer.

Reply to How can I get heat into Gravity Fed UFH system in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a three zone heating system plus water cylinder (OSO Super S 250L) on an Valliant EcoTec 637. Two CH zones and a UFH zone. Boiler is rarely at maximum power rating, even at full tilt. The UFH zone has it's own pump and the other two zones (three storey house) are just pumped from the...
Replies
Views
Good morning, wondered if anyone can advise please on a resolution? My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed detached with 21 radiators (includes 4 towel rails), a 6m x 4m orangery/conservatory that was built last year with under-floor heating, and a Megaflo for storing hot water. The UFH...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi guys, I have a set up with rads upstairs and UFH downstairs. I have installed the manifold for the UFH along with 2x Honeywell 2port values, one near the manifold and the other on the radiator side. I will be using Nest 3rd gen thermostats to control both the upstairs radiators and...
Replies
Views
Hi, we had UFH installed dowstairs in our house recently, and I'm not 100% sure that it's connected correctly. I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at the diagrams and tell me if what the plumber did makes sense. The house is heated with an A2W Samsung/Joule heatpump. The buffer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the AUTO (adaptive mode) setting on this the new pump or which mode it is best set at (recently had our old 3-speed pump replaced with the above smart...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock