Search the forum,

Discuss How can I check what work has been done? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LCV

Hi,
I am having my house renovated so the builder has his own plumber. They quoted me £3700 for the materials for a new heating system. When I asked for the specifics of what this included he said the boiler and hot water cylinder. I took a look on the internet and the boiler and cylinder only came to about £2k so I asked what the other £1,700 was for. I also said I thought they would be doing a power flush, installing a limescale inhibitor, magnetic inline sludge preventer etc as this is what previous plumbers had said they would do. The builder then responded and said yes, they will do doing all those things that I mentioned and that is what the other £1,700 is covering.

This has made me feel rather uncertain about what works they are actually going to carry out. Is there a way of checking what they have actually done?

Thanks!

You can tell if they have fitted limescale reducer as it will be connected to your pipes if it's a new system you won't need it power flushed at its all new pipework the builder gave you a price and you agreed to it, you the customer should have had things in a contract of what works are to be done if you feel you getting robbed why agree to the price? Tradesmen all put mark up price on matirials this covers overheads and the energy it takes to order and collect your things of course you will get cheap stuff on the Internet but does it come with garentees etc sounds like a paranoid customer let the builder do his job and only pay when sarisfied

Hi there mate. This is a huge problem for us engineers . We quote 4 thousand for a heating system and Yeh the boiler n cylinder comes to 2k but for a bundle of 22mm copper is a 100quid. A filter is a 100quid all the fittings , valves etc .. it makes us Un easy when folks question a price. It's as simple as saying yes i m happy with the price or no I'm not.
Folks don't take into account the Fortune we spent on tools , vans , gas registration and insurance . Please take all this into account many thanks .

Can't just look at big ticket items and compare to quote given. So so many more things to add on and I'm aways surprised how much that comes to! You wouldnt look at a car and look up the price of an engine and think car was dear. Agree a price and let them get on with it. Without knowing the job that does seem reasonable anyway. just wait till you get the labour bill!!!

It is because I haven't been given a detailed breakdown of what the plumber is doing. If I had been given one then of course I would just let them get on with it. I have asked for one but never received one. I know you are thinking they why let them start without receiving one. Because the plumbing is just one part of the house renovation and he said I would be given one so I trusted him. I am not paranoid but obviously I am in a vulnerable position here.

It is because I haven't been given a detailed breakdown of what the plumber is doing. If I had been given one then of course I would just let them get on with it. I have asked for one but never received one. I know you are thinking they why let them start without receiving one. Because the plumbing is just one part of the house renovation and he said I would be given one so I trusted him. I am not paranoid but obviously I am in a vulnerable position here.

You are the boss your paying if you request information your tradesman needs to be giving you it the price seems fair like others above have said there are lots of other things you need to do an install apart from a boiler and copper

Thanks. As it sounds like it is a fair price I will leave it there then.

It depends if you want a material breakdown or a labour schedule or work to be done breakdown .

Do you know what make and model boiler, cylinder, contorls etc are being fitted or have you just be told a price?

Get your own plumber to come out and price if you feel uneasy .

Or you could get a price of lame plumber and watch your bank balance depreciate quite rapidly at his prices.

if there wasnt £1200 in it for the job then i wouldnt do it. add that to your £2000 and thats £3200.
so then theres the controls £120 fitted, chemicals-filters=£130. that leaves around £250 for the tea and chip butties...not a lot? if you get lame plumber then you will need an extra £200 for the butties...

get a component break down on paper then pay when you recieve it. later if you find its not done you have something to go on against the installer. but either way, not a bad price!

Last edited by a moderator:
If he cant be bothered to break it down properly just find someone else. I sit for an hour or so listing all the materials that go into the price on a job and so do many other plumbers. From the looks of it he just pulled that price out of his bottom

The price is the price you don't by a cheese roll for £2 and ask for a breakdown of all the costs, if you are not happy with the price don't have the work done.

If he cant be bothered to break it down properly just find someone else. I sit for an hour or so listing all the materials that go into the price on a job and so do many other plumbers. From the looks of it he just pulled that price out of his bottom

Gone are the days doing that only not to win the job waste of time imho.

The price is the price you don't by a cheese roll for £2 and ask for a breakdown of all the costs, if you are not happy with the price don't have the work done.

What if the cheese roll comes with a £40 pricetag wouldnt you want to know whats in it then?

i only do 'take it or leave it' price- unless i can compromise.
i normally ask what they want to pay and taylor the install to the price if theres enough £,
but i wont fit krap boilers!

Last edited by a moderator:
£3700 for a new heating system. About right, any less then your being ripped off with cheap parts!! Beggar the internet, it will all arrive damaged and then where are you, of course you can buy it all yourself and pay labour only, but the installer wont warantee anything you supply it will be on your own head!!

Not really because I would not pay £40 for a cheese roll so why would I care what's in it ? When the guy gives you the price for a heating system it's his duty to do it all to current standards so I can't see why it's important for a price breakdown other than to question it, if it's about what he's going to be doing for his price the builder has told you and I'm sure the plumber himself will be happy enough to to explain.

I don't break it down but I do give in writing what they get so what boiler magma clean what programmer but they then just get the full price for it and not x for labour and y for parts as that does lead to I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

As for £3700 that could be a fair price but without looking at it hard to say. I'm doing a full heating system at the moment for £4200 but that has a couple of designer rads, nest, pig of a vertical flue and condense.

The £3700 is just for materials. Labour is another £2200. Including VAT is £7,080.
I wanted a breakdown of what work they were going to do so that I know what I am actually paying for.
I am not living on site so have no idea what they are doing and what they are fitting (other than the boiler and cylinder which I saw on my last site visit).

So much wrong at many levels:-
1. client should know what he wants and get prices to drawings and specification.
2. If client is unsure he should engage professional to explain options and give recommendation.
3. The contract documents should be mutually compatible, allowing builder to know extent of work from day one.
4. where anomalies arise there should be an appointed person to clarify on behalf of the client, if client is unavailable.
Sit down with your builder, apologise for expecting him to work from a crystal ball and agree a detailed schedule of work.

Dont trust builders at all. So many of them say they are getting a plumber and do it themselves so it would be advisable to ask for the installers gas safe registration details to check he is on the gas safe register

i always list what im doing the make and model of the major components boiler cylinder controlls etc and then give an all in price anyone wants it broke down further can whistle im a profesional i pick matierials i know are reasonable quality as much to save me call backs and to give them a reliable system
if they want a cheaper quote then the can have poorer quality stuff but my warranty gets shorter as well labour cost will remain the same or could even increase if i know the components they have choosen are harder to fit like a worcester instead of a vailant or ideal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How can I check what work has been done? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock