Search the forum,

Discuss How bad/urgent is this? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

Newbie here, have just bought a house and lifted some floor boards and found this (see photo).

Not totally sure what the pipes are for but think they're all central heating.

Not sure if it's a coincidence but there's a radiator just near this section of pipes that doesn't heat up. (I've bled all the radiators)

Main question - is this an 'emergency' to get fixed or something quite common?

Thanks
James

Attachments

• 20200321_102859.jpg
    20200321_102859.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 38
Somebody didn't clean the residual flux off after sweating the joints. Could cause copper to leak if left, although disturbing it could also do the same. If its not leaking at the moment then its not classified as essential.
One radiator not getting hot is not likely to be caused by this, much more likely a balancing issue or similar.

Looks a bit like friction as well. May have rubbed through copper.

Stick a bowl underneath see if you catch anything.

I would have said wrap some tissue round it, but wouldn't been keen on moving it to be honest.

There are two pipes that have white stuff on them i would say they have pin holed and leaking which has caused the copper to go green, Urgent its a case of when. Have had a few houses where the pipework all over the house was like this.

Hello,

Newbie here, have just bought a house and lifted some floor boards and found this (see photo).

Not totally sure what the pipes are for but think they're all central heating.

Not sure if it's a coincidence but there's a radiator just near this section of pipes that doesn't heat up. (I've bled all the radiators)

Main question - is this an 'emergency' to get fixed or something quite common?

Thanks
James
No it’s not an emergency, live with the rad that is naughty and then wait till things get back to normal, decent engineers are at a premium Centralheatking

As other's have said it looks like flux induced corrosion.

It becomes an emergency only when it starts leaking and sending water into the fabric of the building. It is entirely possible that these have already had pinhole sized leaks which have scaled themselves closed again, or it is not far off starting up leaking for the first time. Could be tomorrow or could last another couple of years, it's hard to tell.

I'd leave it alone for now and just keep an eye on it. If it does start leaking it won't likely be a gusher, just a drip or fine mist coming out. If you take a quick look at it once per day and it's not leaking, leave until better times. If it does start up then I think you would be justified in calling out a plumber as an emergency.

Reply to How bad/urgent is this? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock