Search the forum,

Discuss How any wraps on PTFE tape on a threaded drain off valve? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I was wondering how many wraps of PTFE tape you need to use on a threaded drain off valve that is going to be fitted into a Telford horizontal stainless hot water cylinder. Thanks

Is it a new installation?
You need the G3 qualification to work on unvented cylinders
It is a new installation. The threaded drain off valve hasn’t been installed. I have the G3 qualification. But have only done the course recently and haven’t worked on my first cylinder yet. So I am just checking before I fit the drain off valve. I would normally use 3 to 4 wraps of PTFE tape. Thanks

I do 10-12 wraps and see if I can screw the fitting in by hand alone. If I can't I put the tools on it and do it all the way up. If I can do it up almost all the way by hand, I carefully unscrew it so as not to shred the tape up on the fitting and add another 5 or 6 wraps.

I used to always clean all the PTFE off and start from scratch, just adding more wraps of tape and give it another go if it didn't feel right or leaked. Then an old plumber told me to try what I describe above and I have had much more reliable joints ever since.

As Simon G says, it is a bit of a mystic art too and something you just get a feel for. Also plumbers like to disagree on the best way to do such things so anyone please feel free to disagree with my method! It works for me very reliably that's all I can say.

Now on to paste or no paste.......o_O

Depends on the quality of the materials as well. Some towel rails and radiators are complete tat and need more.

I have had to use a 1/2" BSP tap to sort out the threads on some cheapo towel rails before. When the tappings are that bad it does become difficult to know how much tape will seal them. The again my method has worked fine on those ones too, especially after running the tap through them to clear the threads.

Some radiator tails are taper thread though. On the parallel ones, do you recommend using a string type sealer? I suppose good old hemp and paste would work on a parallel thread well too?

Everything I’ve seen in in UK domestic plumbing and heating has been BSP parallel, some of the wiser guys in here may know better. I guess you have more NPT stuff on the US?

You can often get away with PTFE because the pressure is low. Your generally recommended to use an anaerobic thread sealant like Loctite 577. You can get an activator to speed up the cure time.

Reply to How any wraps on PTFE tape on a threaded drain off valve? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock