Search the forum,

Discuss Hotel with 2 mains feeds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've been asked to modify the water supply to a hotel.

The front of the old hotel is connected to the water mains in front of the hotel, and the rear extension backs onto a different street and has an other water main serving the back only.

So can I simply connect the pipework inside to unify the pipework.

The manager wants to avoid being without water in either part of the hotel should one main be cut off for maintenance.

There's a megaflo installed which uses the rear water main.
Thanks for any help

Metalmickey.

No manager wants to keep both and alternate if one supply is being maintained by water company.
As it's a hotel he wants continuous water supply supply if one main is shut down

What if the water board want to do maintenance on, say, the front supply. They turn off a valve somewhere, dig up the road and break into what they thought was an isolated supply, to be met with a flood via the hotel's other supply!

Think you need to ask the water board, and if allowed fit a connection with a valve so that supplies can be separated if necessary.

Ok. So a check valve on both incoming supplies so they can't flood each other.

What about the mega flow. Is this an issue

Big Nono

The only way you can do it is have both supplies connected to a break tank and then pump it out to the hotel

It's probably worth a phone call to the Water board or relevant authority to get a substantiated ruling on this.

They may give you an approval - with the correct piping / valve set up if they deem it allowable for the type of premises it is.

No time taken for a phonecall and no harm in asking!

I'll throw a spanner in the works. Do u know for sure that both supplies are off different pipes on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hotel with 2 mains feeds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
A
Hi there, I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony at one end of the property is connected to a combined water/sewage system with the...
Replies
Views
Amelia
A
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a Worcester greenstar danesmoor 18/25 oil boiler. Covers 10 radiators mostly large double panels, some towel rails and smaller rads too, as well as an...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached one of the photos when I found out the cistern overflowing above the overflow pipe) and one other pipe that has a small drops coming out of it that is...
Replies
Views
Two connected houses in our 70s condo development, everyone served by one water meter at the road. 833 has 40 lbs of pressure while attached house 835 has over 100 lbs. -- no problems in either house or immediately outside -- and no pressure relief valves or shutoffs. Plumber traced the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock