Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water venting into header tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys. I have an issue with the header tank in my loft being full of hot water. The vent from the cylinder goes into the cold water tank so it’s not coming from there. There is a vent pipe that comes from what I am assuming is the hot feed to the cylinder coil (50mm copper looks like it come from boiler) all the time the boiler is on the pump runs and it pushes hot water into the header tank even if the boiler isn’t firing. Is it normal for this to be vented? Am I just seeing pump over run which should be going through a bypass but is just dumping it into the tank instead?
im not sure what system it is all I know is it’s oil fired and was installed in the 60s and the previous owners Dad considered himself a genius and has fiddled and altered all sorts all over the house and generally screwed everything up ( I will spare you the story of the electrical repairs he made, suffice it to say disconnecting the earth rod isn’t the best way to stop rcds tripping).
Any advice is much appreciated.

Stu

In simple terms no it should not be pumping over the top. Indeed needs urgent action to stop it happening can (and probably has) cause all sorts of problems.
Clear pictures of boiler / pump any motorised valves and pipework to cylinder would be useful.

Stupid question first: How many header tanks are there? (Does the boiler have its own header tank, or is it pressurised from the mains - can you see a filling loop and a pressure gauge)

Cheers,

Roy

Reply to Hot water venting into header tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder is located directly above the ceiling of a new and expensive kitchen. It does not leak and causes no obvious problems. Should it be replaced? Advice...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m having a problem with hw venting into the small header tank. This happens when it’s set to hw only or CH. I’ve tried lowering the water level in the header tank but it makes no difference. The incoming hot water is being taken back into system via the primary circuit 15mm supply so...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock