Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water turns on radiators in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

R

R_Manchester

When the hot water is set to on, the radiators also warm up.
Two 2-port valve / cylinder/gas boiler system.

Seemed possible likely that the valve to the heating was sticking open (partially?). This valve was replaced the problem remains.
What could be other possible causes?
When the heating is on, the hot water does not warm up, so I don't believe pipes have been crossed. (We have had various building works done involving changes to the central heating and at the time believed this had caused some 'dirt' to get to the valve.)

Turn the hot water on let it heat up and then stick your hand on the closed side of the heating 2 port valve. If its hot its the valve.

I expect its not, i think its more likely to be reverse circulation. What changes have been made to your heating?

Turn the hot water on let it heat up and then stick your hand on the closed side of the heating 2 port valve. If its hot its the valve.

I expect its not, i think its more likely to be reverse circulation. What changes have been made to your heating?
The closed side of the valve doesn't heat up.

Please can you explain what is 'reverse circulation' and what we need to do about it.

Prior building works - substantial kitchen extension involved moving the boiler and adding radiators, so mistakes possible.

In the diagram below shows a typical S-plan (2x two port valves.)

I've labeled the flow and return next to the boiler but your boiler may have them the other way round.

The big arrow at the bottom pointing to where the cylinder return tee's in is part you've likely got wrong.

The cylinder should always be the last thing back to the boiler to prevent it circulating backwards through a radiator. I expect you will have another tee in that section of pipe work which is the return for a radiator

Attachments

• 1680542691867.png
    1680542691867.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 5

Reply to Hot water turns on radiators in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock