Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water to all of my house except master bathroom in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Vaillant ecotec plus 838 boiler and yesterday morning I used the shower in my master bathroom and it was working fine with plenty of hot water, however that evening I went to have a shower and there was no hot water, so I tried the bath and tap in that master bathroom and there was no hot water there, however the taps in the rest of my house and my upstairs shower work fine with plenty of hot water, what could be stopping it from coming to my master bathroom?
Attached are pictures of the boiler setup

Attachments

• 20210828_100657.jpg
    20210828_100657.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210828_100643.jpg
    20210828_100643.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210828_100637.jpg
    20210828_100637.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210828_100615.jpg
    20210828_100615.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 19
Ignore the small cylinder on the wall for now as this is an expansion vessel for the unvented cylinder. I’d say it’s either a boiler issue or cylinder issue. Does water actually run, just not hot?

It looks as if some part of your house is fed from the combi boiler, and the rest off the Unvented cylinder.

The easiest way to work out what is what is run the hot tap in the part of the house that is working. If the tap comes on the front of the boiler on the screen that means it's fed off the combi. If it doesn't and gets hot then it's fed from the cylinder.

I suspect that your main bathroom would be fed from the Unvented cylinder, hence why you might have no hot water.

It looks as if some part of your house is fed from the combi boiler, and the rest off the Unvented cylinder.

The easiest way to work out what is what is run the hot tap in the part of the house that is working. If the tap comes on the front of the boiler on the screen that means it's fed off the combi. If it doesn't and gets hot then it's fed from the cylinder.
Was going to suggest this, but wasn’t 100% sure, so thank you.

I suspect that your main bathroom would be fed from the Unvented cylinder, hence why you might have no hot water.

Thank you, I can confirm that it must be an unvented tank issue as the tap symbol doesn't come on when I use the master bathroom taps.
Would this need an engineer? Or is there way I can look into this myself?

silly question, but are any pipes hot to the touch where they go into/out of the cylinder?

Have you tried pressing the 'boost' button on the upper (Immersion Heater) controller to see if you get electrically heated hot water after a while?

Is it conceivable that the system has been set in the past for just electrically heated hot water, and the bottom immersion has packed up?

Last edited:
silly question, but are any pipes hot to the touch where they go into/out of the cylinder?

Have you tried pressing the 'boost' button on the upper (Immersion Heater) controller to see if you get electrically heated hot water after a while?

Is it conceivable that the system has been set in the past for just electrically heated hot water, and the bottom immersion has packed up?
I will try the boost button now,
There are no hot pipes at the moment, but before this happened the pipe I am touching on the image attached used to get hot

Attachments

• 20210830_105807.jpg
    20210830_105807.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 12
I mistakenly thought the upper controller was exclusively for immersion heaters, but I'm wrong, it's for combi systems.
I rashly assumed that the boost button would operate the upper immersion, but suspect it actually will trigger the boiler, in which case the experiment to try it will do nothing!

Try turning on the white switch for the upper immersion heater, below the one that's already on. That should temporarily give you some hot, but at electricity prices!

If the lack of heating the cylinder is down to the 2-port valve being faulty, you are going to need a plumber.

Last edited:
I mistakenly thought the upper controller was exclusively for immersion heaters, but I'm wrong, it's for combi systems.
I rashly assumed that the boost button would operate the upper immersion, but suspect it actually will trigger the boiler, in which case the experiment to try it will do nothing!

Try turning on the white switch for the upper immersion heater, below the one that's already on. That should temporarily give you some hot, but at electricity prices!

If the lack of heating the cylinder is down to the 2-port valve being faulty, you are going to need a plumber.
Yep, turning the immersion heater on gave me hot water, but I'll try and get a plumber in to sort the problem fully thank you for your help

Reply to Hot water to all of my house except master bathroom in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock