Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water temp Query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Good morning everyone,

I would like to know when you run the hot water tap in the bathtub by law/water regulation how hot should the water be set at without mixing any cold water? I used a thermometer today and it came at 45c, should it be higher or is that okay?
I have a combi boiler in the kitchen and it doesn't show you the temperature in numbers but has a dial of 10 dots currently the hot water dial is in the middle (5th dot), any information would be great thank you.

The UK Water Regulations state that the hot water should reach 50 degrees centigrade at any outlet within 1 minute of opening the outlet.

Edit to add - That's for stored hot water so I think the other folks advice here is correct as you have instantaneous hot water.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply and it is a 2nd floor flat in the UK (circa 1960) and I got the combi boiler installed in September this year and a new bathroom in October this year. I just wanted to make sure I have the correct temps set for the hot water so that their are no concerns over the water temps, thank you once again.

@BobbyJoe as above have said, at this time of year with cold mains slightly lower temperature than warmer months 45°C is normal. Remember a combi boiler will increase cold main water to roughly 35°C higher for hot water demand, obviously in the colder months final result will be a bit lower and warmer a bit higher.
If you had a hot water cylinder instead of a combi, then this should be heated to 60°C but this is irrelevant in your case.

Yes as chking said. Reducing the flow rate will produce hotter water. Either crank tap open a little or close incoming main slightly. Remember to reverse in warmer months

Reply to Hot water temp Query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone just checking if this is right regarding water pressure and combi boiler pressure: Do hot and cold water always vary in pressure such as the following? Cold water from tap filled 1 litre jug in 2 seconds Hot water from tap filled 1 litre jug in 5 seconds Gas combi boiler pressure...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock