Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water Taps all running slow then stopping in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have today removed our bath ready to put a new one in and have capped both the hot and cold feeds off.

However, when putting both the hot water (turned off as cold feed on to the cyclinder) and cold water back on (turned off at both the stop tap under the sink and the cold feed in the airing cupboard to the bath) the hot water from all taps in the house runs with little pressure and then stops.

What I noticed is that the cold water valve feeding the cylinder turns and turns and turns. It eventually turned off, but when turning on again it just turns and turns and turns and after hundreds of turns it does not come to a full open. I can hear water moving slowly, but not the usual gushing. Could this be the issue with the pressure...? I add a photo of the valve.

Many thanks for any help / advise.

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 4
I've had this myself! The valve is broken. They are notorious for this as they get older. The sliding brass 'gate' inside becomes detached from the thread on the spindle, or at least the thread stops moving it. Only remedy is to replace it I fear.

Hi,
You have either an air lock or more likely given your description, the gate valve has broken inside the valve body.
If you have an indirect system ( cold taps feed from loft storage cistern. Type up the FOV (ballcock) and open cold taps to drain water. Have a replacement gate valve ready and if you’re lucky you came swap the ‘guts’ over or replace the whole valve.
If you have a direct system (loft storage cistern feeds just DHW (cylinder). Your best bet is to freeze and replace. Probably a job for a professional plumber.
Those cheap gate valves are poor quality and without frequent use are prone to seize.
Good luck chap.

Reply to Hot Water Taps all running slow then stopping in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock