Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water Tank Feed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McTavish

I am about to move the water tanks in the loft in preparation for a loft conversion.
They are in the middle of the loft at the moment & I'm moving them to one end.

My question is about the cold water feed to the hot water tank.

At the moment my hot water tank is fed from the cold water storage tank.
The only purpose the cold water tank is serving is to feed the hot water tank & to vent it.
The reason for this is that the mains supply comes into the house & goes straight into the bathroom, it feeds the sink, bath & toilet then goes up into the loft where it runs to the other side of the loft & down thru the bedroom & into the kitchen.
A feed is taken from it to supply the cold water tank, the header tank & the shower.
Is it possible for me to remove the cold water tank altogether & feed the hot water tank from the mains supply, venting it to the header tank?
It would free up a good bit of space in the loft as it's not the biggest loft.

Any advise/suggestions would be appriciated.

Cheers

McTavish

i will take the bait, although i think this is a wind up, no you cant do that, if you connect the tank feed to the main it will simply run straight up the vent pipe and pour out, the cylinder must be gravity fed from a tank above it, you could change the tank for a mains fed unit this would free up all the space taken up by the bigger tank in the loft, but you need to get a G3 qualified plumber to inspect the site to confirm whether water pressure and flow is high enough to allow the unit to work properly

No. You would need to change the tank to an unvented system for two reasons. First, if you leave the vent attached and connect the mains pressure the water will just come out of the vent. Second the copper cylinder used for vented systems usually cannot handle the mains pressure. If you are going to change over to mains pressure then there are many other considerations. To install an unvented system you would need a plumber or heating engineer who is G3 Unvented competent. Also if you go with the unvented cylinder then you would also need to change the shower to mains pressure otherwise you will get back pressure into the cold tank. This would not only be a nuisance but it would also be a major contravention of the water regulations. The unvented system is costly. My suggestion is to look into a combi conversion.

Thanks for the replies folks.
Would it be possible to change the cold water tank for a smaller one?
Applogies in advance if thats as dumb as my first idea;)

Look mate get a plumber in he will be able to tell you what and more important what you can't have.
No offence but you don't sem to have a clue on the basic principles

I agree with Gray0689. Best to hire a pro rather than do something that at best could damage your house or at worse hurt yourself.

Thanks again for your responses.

I am planning to get a plumber in to do the work for me, I was just thinking about what options could be available for making best use of the space & came accross this forum & thought it would be worth asking a couple of questions but I think I've misinterpreted the forums function.

Cheers again

McTavish

Whilst we do want to help its not always possible

We will not fully know your set up but what you have suggested is dangerous

The option of unvented has been given to you to get rid of yourr storage tanks in the loft, you will need a plumber to quote appropriately for this though

But as a general rule of thumb if something is there it is there for a reason and if it is a certain size, then it is a certain size for a reason

We are all trying to help but we are concerned with your knowledge and think its best if you call someone in :)

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Tank Feed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock