Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water service in home in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Please forgive the length of this post, but I must provide all the information to fully explain the issue. I am completely perplexed! My 43 year oldhome is in the country, on a well. Recently, I had a 20+ year old 40 gallon propane hot water heater professionally replaced. The house service line is double filtered with an inline water softener, and, unfiltered, the water coming from the well is crystal clear. Inside the house, on the cold water side, each faucet throughout the house delivers crystal clear water. The hot water side, at every faucet, is delivering what is seen in the attached photo. It clogs up the aerators and the shower handle control cartridge with small thin, flat, dark flakes and reduced the flow to a trickle. I attached a garden hose to the new water heater drain, opened the line for a short time and the water ran clear. The home plumbing is CPVC. Has anyone seen this problem before? If so, what was found to be the culprit? Thank you, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• 950303F8-CFF7-43D1-9702-009B79B0C1F6.jpeg
    950303F8-CFF7-43D1-9702-009B79B0C1F6.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 12
It could be as you’ve replaced the water heater the new one as increased the flow rate and stirred up a bit of silt in the line try running each tap one by one for a good 10 mins etc without the airrator you should be fine after then

Thank you, Shaun. The stuff shown in the photo just keeps showing up in the sink, tubs or clogging the screen filters. The water heater was replaced two weeks ago and I have been flushing the hot water side multiple times throughout the time. I do very much appreciate your response though.
It could be as you’ve replaced the water heater the new one as increased the flow rate and stirred up a bit of silt in the line try running each tap one by one for a good 10 mins etc without the airrator you should be fine after then

Thank you, Shaun. The stuff shown in the photo just keeps showing up in the sink, tubs or clogging the screen filters. The water heater was replaced two weeks ago and I have been flushing the hot water side multiple times throughout the time. I do very much appreciate your response though.
If it’s only been replaced 2 weeks ago, why hasn’t the professional installer been back to sort or advise on the situation?

Hi Chris. Thank you for your reply. I have called the installer right after this began and he gave me a few suggestions to try but nothing has helped. I’ve flushed the lines and the particles, whatever it is, keeps appearing and clogging the faucet screens. If I remove the aerator, it can be captured in my hand as shown in the picture.

You haven’t got an activated charcoal filter have you ?

It looks to me like deposits from pipework that are working loose, maybe because of pressure, temperature or hammer in new system. Do you know the mineral content or TDS of your supply water and PH?
Has source always been from well or is that a recent change?

It looks to me like deposits from pipework that are working loose, maybe because of pressure, temperature or hammer in new system. Do you know the mineral content or TDS of your supply water and PH?
Has source always been from well or is that a recent change?

Good evening. Sorry for the late response. The source has always been from a well. I had a 23 y/o water heater replaced recently which I thought was the problem all along. There were small amounts of the substance showing up from time to time prior to replacing it, especially when the water was turned off and back on. Now, the stuff clogs up anything on the hot water side only. Water from the well and from the col water outlets is crystal clear. Don’t know the current TDS or PH but it’s always seemed better that city water because of filtration and water softener. No discernible hammering going on. Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Reply to Hot water service in home in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock