Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water recirculation system in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a large 2 story house with a single-story flat at the side. The flat has a kitchen on the ground floor and en-suite in roof space. The hose and flat are both serviced by a boiler and hot water storage tank in the laundry room on the ground floor of the main house. It takes a minute for hot water to arrive at the water outlets in the main house and a lot longer in the flat. The water supply ( hot and cold ) is pressurised.

I have made provision for secondary recirculation loop in the main house but have not connected in up yet and have not purchased a recirculation pump. I have been told that the Grundfos Comfort Autodapt recirculation pump doe not have sufficient Head as the max head is 1.5 m. Grundfos has suggested 5m head would be necessary. Is there other recirculation pumps with a higher head with the auto adapt feature.

I could use 5m recirculation pump with from Grundfos but this would require to be on continuously or on a fixed timer all of which is wasteful of heat and electrical energy.

Another option I have been considering is to have a 2nd small well insulated unvented tank in the house roof space. A recirculation pump would transfer hot water from the main tank when the temp in the secondary tank dropped below a certain level. The secondary tank would be sized to hold about 5mins of water. Hot water would be available more quickly as the pipes from the secondary tank would be shorter.

I would appreciate any comments you might have on the feasibly of the above arrangement.

Also some advice on hardware; unvented tank, recirculation pump, temperature sensor.

The advantages of this option are:

Small amounts hot water in available quickly at kitchen and bathroom sinks.

The secondary tank need only be recharged as hot water is used when the temp in the secondary tank falls.

The problem of hot water delay in both flat and house is resolved as both house and flat hot water flow through secondary tank.

Reply to Hot water recirculation system in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock