Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water pressure- strange storage tank in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. We have a system boiler in the kitchen filling what appears to be a two stage storage tank on the landing (under boiler pressure). There is no additional storage in the attic. Hot water from the shower bar is fine but all other hot taps are low pressure. Cold water pressure appears fine.

Is there anything obvious we can do to improve the pressure? Two CH engineers have inspected the set-up and appear slightly confused so I’m unsure if it is something strange or simply something they haven’t seen before.

I’ve attached some photos to show the storage tank etc. There are three red valves - what do these all do - one on left cuts water but unsure of other two? There’s a magnetic sphere powered by electric - what does this do (one side is always cold). And next to sphere there’s a metal box switch connected to power with manual switch - what does this do? There is an electric immersion back up. Grateful for any advice, I know very little about CH!

Attachments

• B2F66D81-B207-4BD2-8E7D-A6F2D0CFD819.jpeg
    B2F66D81-B207-4BD2-8E7D-A6F2D0CFD819.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 576E24D5-6EA0-4C71-8727-F1621058CFC1.jpeg
    576E24D5-6EA0-4C71-8727-F1621058CFC1.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 8E2C67A3-314B-406B-A7DA-5FF6BEADA91D.jpeg
    8E2C67A3-314B-406B-A7DA-5FF6BEADA91D.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 244CFE53-45F7-40CE-899B-C9CA73944C76.jpeg
    244CFE53-45F7-40CE-899B-C9CA73944C76.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 15
Nope you can’t increase the hot water pressure best option is to install a combi

You have a combination storage tank. The top part is the storage cistern which feeds the lower cylinder when needed.
The magnet is for catching magnetite and possibly other non magnetic debris to prevent corrosion.
The valve is a 3 port, most probably a mad position valve, used to divert water from the boiler to the cylinder to heat, or the central heating, or both.

You have a combination storage tank. The top part is the storage cistern which feeds the lower cylinder when needed.
The magnet is for catching magnetite and possibly other non magnetic debris to prevent corrosion.
The valve is a 3 port, most probably a mad position valve, used to divert water from the boiler to the cylinder to heat, or the central heating, or both.
Thank you very much for the explanation, most grateful. Everyone was asking to see the attic storage tank but I said there was none. The two other valves appear mid position, I just wanted to make sure they weren’t some relief valve; I need as much pressure as possible 😀

Thank you very much for the explanation, most grateful. Everyone was asking to see the attic storage tank but I said there was none. The two other valves appear mid position, I just wanted to make sure they weren’t some relief valve; I need as much pressure as possible 😀

You're hot water is gravity fed, you would have slightly more pressure if the storage cistern was in the attic and not as part of the cylinder but not much.

Why would a combi be the best bet? I'd be more inclined to opt for an unvented cylinder.

Low demand for hot water as the shower will be off another system/ maybe pumped

Can you take a picture of the shower ?

Reply to Hot water pressure- strange storage tank in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock