Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water or lack of! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leedslaura

Hi, I recently moved into a flat which has an electric heated water system and uses a range tribune he (180l tank). How long should it take for me to be able to get hot water? I have a timer which comes on at least 40 mins before I use the shower in a morning and sometimes it is hot/warm and others cold. Could anyone advise why this is and what I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Hi Laura, Give it say an hour and a half. This type of cylinder/tank is well insulated so extra cost is not a issue, as the heater is thermostatically controled.

Hi
I tried it coming on 90 mins as you suggested before I used the shower this morning and it was still cold so I'm not sure what is going wrong. I know it works as I had hot water in the day over the weekend from the tap. I will try it 2 hours earlier tomorrow and see if that works. It is set to be on for a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening but not during the day whilst I am out at work. Do I need to have it on more? Sorry for all the questions but I have not had electric heated water before and I can only manage so many cold showers!
Thanks

The makers specified re-heat time is 79 minutes for the 180l model.

You may have two immersion heaters, in which case the lower one usually runs on a cheap rate electricity, like the Economy 7 tariff. However, this only comes on during the night (something like 11pm to 5am I think).

The top immersion heater is usually designed to give a quick boost, but doesn't heat the whole tank. If a) The lower immersion is switched off; AND b) you like a long shower, the top heater may not warm enough water for you.

The immersion heaters look like white bosses on the outside of the cylinder, about 4inches in diameter and about three inches deep. Each will have a thick cable (usually white) going to a separate switch (usually mounted on the wall, and sometimes with a red neon indicator) or to a timer. Make sure both are switched on and try again in the morning.

Yes there are 2 immersion heaters, the cables go from the tank from under the bosses into the wall and then presumably into the fuse box which is next to where they go into the wall. There is only one switch for immersion heaters on the fuse box and it is switched to on. Should I be taking the bosses off to check the settings underneath them? I'm just wondering if there is a chance the lower one isn't working or something. Thanks for your help.

Both immersion heaters will have a thermostat which you can set. Each will also have what is called an overheat thermostat which is not adjustable. The overheat one trips out, funnily enough, if the immersion overheats. There is usually a small button you push to reset it. Might be worth trying that. However, make sure all the electrics are off before you take the covers off the bosses. Thats mains voltage in there and it can kill you. You can download the operating and installation instructions from the "Range" website, and it would be sensible to read them before trying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water or lack of! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock