Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water in the loft header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

1st post. I have a gas C/H with a gravity feed to the hot water secondary circuit. Several times a day I hear bubbling/gurguling sounds (that may coincide with the room thermostat demanding heat). Checking the C/H header tank in the loft, I can feel that the tank is hot. There is a pressure relief pipe from the feed to the secondary H/W circuit going to the loft "up and over" the C/H tank that hangs over the top of tank. The pipe is open ended and several inches above the water level. I assume the header tank water is hot due to water surging up the relief pipe.
Is this anything to worry about?
As a secondary question, if you don't mind, several years ago I had a tall radiator fitted in the bathroom replacing a short rad that was connected to the secondary H/W heater circuit. As resulted with the feed to the top of the rad connected to the secondary circuit in the loft space (but is below the bottom of the header). This connection point is the same pipe as the "up and open" pressure relief pipe.
The bathroom rad never gets hot throughout, with just the top section getting hot. This seems to indicate the rad flow is intermittent and top-down. On a gravity fed H/W system should the heat supply enter at the top or bottom of the secondary circuit. Thanks.

Reply to Hot water in the loft header tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock