Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water expansion in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
Just wondering in a vented hot water cylinder,when hot
Does the water expand back up the cold feed into tank or via the vent pipe

No it expands up the vent pipe off the top of the cylinder the pipework may feel hot a meter or so above but it shouldn't heat the water in the cold water storage tank , if this is happening then your system needs attention.

Hi
Just wondering in a vented hot water cylinder,when hot
Does the water expand back up the cold feed into tank or via the vent pipe
Water heated in the cylinder will push cold water from the bottom of the cylinder back up the cold feed pipe, the level of the water in the cold feed cistern and vent will always be equal/level. As KoP says the vent can get warm, this is especially true if the vent runs vertically off the cylinder due to a phenomenon known as sacrificial circulation where hot water flows up the centre of the vent and water that has had a chance to cool on the outside flows back down into the cylinder.

Water heated in the cylinder will push cold water from the bottom of the cylinder back up the cold feed pipe, the level of the water in the cold feed cistern and vent will always be equal/level. As KoP says the vent can get warm, this is especially true if the vent runs vertically off the cylinder due to a phenomenon known as sacrificial circulation where hot water flows up the centre of the vent and water that has had a chance to cool on the outside flows back down into the cylinder.
But does this apply to unvented aswell??

But does this apply to unvented aswell??

no unvented is a different kettle of fish and why you need to be qualified to work on them

Reply to Hot water expansion in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock