Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water cylinder drain valve. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Looking for some help, I am a complete novice when it comes to plumbing so any help would be appreciated.
Today i had to drain down the central heating system to change a radiator valve in the lounge that's leaking which was fine. But just as i was about to fill the system again i noticed a wet patch on the ceiling below the airing cupboard. On closer inspection in the airing cupboard i can see the hot water cylinder is leaking from the drain valve (pic below). As though it is not fully shut off. I have a couple of questions firstly what is the size nut for the drain off valve as i have no key/ tap to shut it off or open it up to drain the cylinder quickly and secondly can this drain valve be replace without having to replace the whole cylinder if it is faulty?
I have thrown in some photos so you can see my problem :-D
Is there any other way of draining the cylinder quickly without the drain valve?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4667.jpg
    IMG_4667.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5497.jpg
    IMG_5497.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9891.jpg
    IMG_9891.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 11
The nut on the outside of the valve will come off leaving a standard looking drain off point. You might get away with the just giving a slight tighten up. If not you will have to drain the cylinder. Isolate the cold water storage tank turn on the hot tap and also attach a hose to the drain off point and drain down. You might not be that lucky and the washer may be trapped inside. When you finally drain all the water out all you will need to do is change the washer.

Hi all,

Looking for some help, I am a complete novice when it comes to plumbing so any help would be appreciated.
Today i had to drain down the central heating system to change a radiator valve in the lounge that's leaking which was fine. But just as i was about to fill the system again i noticed a wet patch on the ceiling below the airing cupboard. On closer inspection in the airing cupboard i can see the hot water cylinder is leaking from the drain valve (pic below). As though it is not fully shut off. I have a couple of questions firstly what is the size nut for the drain off valve as i have no key/ tap to shut it off or open it up to drain the cylinder quickly and secondly can this drain valve be replace without having to replace the whole cylinder if it is faulty?
I have thrown in some photos so you can see my problem :-D
Is there any other way of draining the cylinder quickly without the drain valve?

Any help would be appreciated.
To explain, the cold water from the roof tank goes in the bottom of the cylinder and out of the pipe at the centre on the top. So when you turn off the water supply to the roof tank and turn on the hot taps down stairs to drain the hot water system you will still have a cylinder full of water to drain. That’s why that drain Cock is there. Get a garden hose connect up to the drain and open it up to drain, service the
Problem with the drain , test with a little water in the cylinder if ok fill back up. If I was you leave till Tuesday when the merchants are open ....any more info ask away. Centralheatking

Reply to Hot water cylinder drain valve. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock