Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water Cylinder / Airing Cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I live in a Bungalow and would like to put an airing cupboard in the bathroom with a hot water cylinder. Is this possible?
I currently have a combi boiler and would need to change this also.
Not sure on guidelines for this so some input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

yes you can aslong as you have enough space

now the quesation

gravity eg cold water tank in the loft

or

unvented mains pressure hot

Hello Shaun, Thanks for the reply.

Basically I have no idea what I need.

There are some old plastic water tanks in the loft which I guess are from the original hot water system from many years ago. What us the best option?

I am looking for advice so that I can get the right quote in due course from a tradesman, just wasn't sure if an Airing Cupboard would be allowable in a bathroom.

best option first is to get your main cold water tested for flow and pressure static and dynamic (plumber will know what this is)

you need a min of 15 lpm and 2.5 bar for an unvented

recommended 25 lpm and 3.5 bar

You don't have to change the combi boiler just to put a hot water cylinder. A combi can heat a hot water cylinder off the central heating circuit, just requires two 2 port (my preference) or a three port motorised valves and a cylinder thermostat.

Typically, people run the kitchen hot water direct off the combi (if its in the kitchen) and the bathroom off the hot water cylinder.

I live in a Bungalow and would like to put an airing cupboard in the bathroom with a hot water cylinder.

Are you using 'airing cupboard' in the sense that you actually want to air/dry damp clothes in it, or do you just want a stored hot water supply and the 'airing cupboard' is just a place to hide the cylinder and pipework and possibly store already dried clothes, etc.?

I ask because if you want the former, you need to think about how it is ventilated and heated. You don't want to draw in damp air from the bathroom and the standing loss from a new cylinder won't be enough heat to be useful, you'll need to include a radiator and some low-temperature electric convectors.

Last edited:
My landlady has a radiator in the airing cupboard, the old hot water cylinder was removed when the new boiler was installed.

Reply to Hot Water Cylinder / Airing Cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Trying to find out exactly what happens when my system boiler is called to supply the radiators and hot water cylinder at the same time. For example today, whilst the boiler was on heating the water, the room stat triggered the boiler to supply the rads. The diverter valve installed in the...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock