Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water but no heating after oil run out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, first year in our new home which uses oil. In the summer we used elec only. In the winter we got some oil delivered and used that. The oil has just run out so I switched the immersion heater back on but we now have no heating but we do have hot water? The only thing I can think of is maybe the valve is dead but it seems too much of a coincidence that its packed up at the same time we run out of oil.

Any suggestions on what you think this could be?

thanks in advance!

EDIT: forgot to add that when the oil ran out we had neither hot water or heating (obviously).

UPDATE: I've just tested both of the motorised valves after watching a youtube video. They both appear to be working correctly. ie. resistance when its off. Both behave the same. I am completely baffled!

UPDATE 2: even with hot water and heating on, pipes are cold both sides of both valves. The only hot pipes I can find branch off from the top of the immersion tank.

Last edited:
Have you pressed the reset button on the Burner and primed the Oil if it is a One Pipe System? What Boiler is it? The Immerssion is providing the Hot Water at the moment until you get the Oil Fired Heating working.

aww running out of oil is the worst thing you can do it can really mess up the normal system. all debris at the bottom of your ur tank might be in the supply and filters uck. its not really a diy fix ....get a good engineer in quick time, tell the truth ..ie not I need a service (seen that many times) and then when its running get him to service it at the same time, new fikters etc and ask him about discount oil suppliers ...he might save you as much as he charges ..bite the bullet ...
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

So, the immersion heater will only heat the water in the hot tank ......

Now you need to buy some more oil to get the heating on, and the hot water heated by the boiler .....

also have been to customers where they demanded to know why their gas boiler wasnt working when they have a power cut

If the oil ran out then boiler will have gone to lockout. Strainer at tank and any inline filters will need to be checked/cleaned, after that the oil pump needs to be bled before the burner will ignite again.

Hi all, first year in our new home which uses oil. In the summer we used elec only. In the winter we got some oil delivered and used that. The oil has just run out so I switched the immersion heater back on but we now have no heating but we do have hot water? The only thing I can think of is maybe the valve is dead but it seems too much of a coincidence that its packed up at the same time we run out of oil.

Any suggestions on what you think this could be?

thanks in advance!

EDIT: forgot to add that when the oil ran out we had neither hot water or heating (obviously).

UPDATE: I've just tested both of the motorised valves after watching a youtube video. They both appear to be working correctly. ie. resistance when its off. Both behave the same. I am completely baffled!

UPDATE 2: even with hot water and heating on, pipes are cold both sides of both valves. The only hot pipes I can find branch off from the top of the immersion tank.
so have you bought any more oil yet

Fill up oil and get your oil guy to bleed the line. Also get your oil guy to show you how to do it if you feel able.

Also consider getting a watchman or similar to prevent running out in the future.

Reply to Hot water but no heating after oil run out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock