• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Hot water booster pump not running in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Dazmox

Reaction score
I have had an hot water booster pump fitted, boosts water from my immersion tank. All the taps when open work fine, when I use the mixer tap mira shower, the pump just goes on for a second and then off, comes back on for a second and then back off and so on.

OP
D

Dazmox

Reaction score
fit non return valves to the mixer supplies
Thanks for your quick response. The mixer tap is fed from the bath pipes, teed off, poly pipe with John Guest fittings. So I need to fit none return valves on both the hot and cold as close as I can get to the mixer tap?

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Does your pump only feed the hot water or is it a twin that does both hot and cold.

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
It’s hot only, so cold is off mains.

I have used this set up many times to great effect.

Try non- return valves first ( check to see if there are any in the shower first- they may be stuck/faulty)

Other thing is, there may not be enough head to run the pump properly as the shower head is obviously higher than any tap.

If you lower the shower hose into the bath does the pump run correctly?

If so you need a negative head pump.

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I would say a universal/negative head pump will be required. It could be height of shower head like ben-gee suggests, or it could be the cold mains pressure interrupting the flow of hot water which will activate/deactivate the flow switch causing the pulsing effect your getting. Either way it's sounds like the wrong pump for the job.

OP
D

Dazmox

Reaction score
It’s hot only, so cold is off mains.

I have used this set up many times to great effect.

Try non- return valves first ( check to see if there are any in the shower first- they may be stuck/faulty)

Other thing is, there may not be enough head to run the pump properly as the shower head is obviously higher than any tap.

If you lower the shower hose into the bath does the pump run correctly?

If so you need a negative head pump.
I did take the shower head off and the pump runs fine even if I hold the shower pipe up as high as it will go, I have fitted a bigger shower head to increase the water flow as I thought not enough hot water was being drawn, so not enough flow to activate the pump. Once the shower head is back on the pulsing happens again. Where should I fit the nrv's?

OP
D

Dazmox

Reaction score
I did take the shower head off and the pump runs fine even if I hold the shower pipe up as high as it will go, I have fitted a bigger shower head to increase the water flow as I thought not enough hot water was being drawn, so not enough flow to activate the pump. Once the shower head is back on the pulsing happens again. Where should I fit the nrv's?

OP
D

Dazmox

Reaction score
How big a shower head?
It's just a normal sized round type, I had a low pressure one on before and that didn't work either, I'm thinking I should fit these none return valves when I find out where to fit them, it might be my old mira mixer tap not letting enough water through, it might be a low pressure type if they do them.

OP
D

Dazmox

Reaction score
It's just a normal sized round type, I had a low pressure one on before and that didn't work either, I'm thinking I should fit these none return valves when I find out where to fit them, it might be my old mira mixer tap not letting enough water through, it might be a low pressure type if they do them.

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Non return valves won't work. You will require them on the cold feeds to all mixer taps and you will need one on the hot outlet straight after the pump but thats not your problem. Your problem is an imbalance of pressure and the cold is disrupting the flow of the hot water which is as I say again, causing your flow switch to activate and deactivate also known as pulsing. A universal pump works on a pressure switch so doesn't suffer from the same issues.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom