Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water alone doesn’t fire up the boiler in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, We have a problem with our Hot Water coming on. Sometimes it works and we have Hot Water and other times it doesn’t. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern that I can see. when it doesn’t work the only way to get the boiler to fire up is to put the heating on for an extra hour. When you cancel the heating the boiler turns off and we don’t get hot water still even though the thermostat on the tank knows the water isn’t up to temperature. Maybe it is faulty?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciate, I have tried all sorts and got it to work but then try the same thing later in the week and it doesn’t work. So I am a bit confused what to try next.
thanks

There are 2 valves. 1 is hot water and the other heating. The HW valve opens and the light goes on for Hot Water etc but the boiler doesn’t come on
What is the light that goes on please?
You may know that the switched live feed to turn on the boiler for hot water comes from a microswitch within the HW valve. The idea is that as the valve approaches the fully open position, a cam pushes the microswitch lever, which supplies power to the boiler. If the valve doesn't always fully open, maybe the switch is not being activated.
With care, it may be possible to see what is happening.
If you are competent with electrics, and have the relevant test instrument(s), you could check the above theory. Or get an engineer in!

What is the light that goes on please?
You may know that the switched live feed to turn on the boiler for hot water comes from a microswitch within the HW valve. The idea is that as the valve approaches the fully open position, a cam pushes the microswitch lever, which supplies power to the boiler. If the valve doesn't always fully open, maybe the switch is not being activated.
With care, it may be possible to see what is happening.
If you are competent with electrics, and have the relevant test instrument(s), you could check the above theory. Or get an engineer in!
Just the light on the control panel. I haven’t done a test of the connections or thought about the valve not always opening. Thanks for this. I will have a go tomorrow and see what happens.

Reply to Hot Water alone doesn’t fire up the boiler in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
When I put the central heating on the hot water gets drawn through the pump but is then being diverted straight back to the boiler instead of the rads What is this, and how likely is it that it is faulty? That sits in between the hot water to the rads and hot water to the hot water tank...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now see the mental back boiler. I could not see the back boiler when I put the coal saver in place last year . Do I recover the metal back boiler in fire cement or is their something better. The fire cement at the bottom of the photo is where I block...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock