Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water air locked on solar thermal system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BEC

Hi there,
I installed a solar thermal system to a property in the summer and changed an old vented cylinder over a two coil cylinder (also vented). Has worked fine until last couple of weeks when the customer is complaining of air locks in his hot water taps. My first thoughts are that the temp stat might have gone and the water is getting far too hot (he does say that it's very hot when it comes out) and blowing off causing an air lock in the system.

Any other thoughts on this?

BEC

Are you referring to the temp stat that goes into the cylinder from the solar? I can't imagine at this time of year that the solar is getting too hot!!

I guess they've been using the boiler to heat the top coil in this weather so maybe check the setting on that thermostat, check immersion is turned off, or maybe the ball valve is playing up in the header tank, not refilling fast enough etc...

Are you referring to the temp stat that goes into the cylinder from the solar? I can't imagine at this time of year that the solar is getting too hot!!

I guess they've been using the boiler to heat the top coil in this weather so maybe check the setting on that thermostat, check immersion is turned off, or maybe the ball valve is playing up in the header tank, not refilling fast enough etc...

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it will be getting topped up by their existing oil boiler so I was thinking of the main thermostat on the cylinder. I hadn't thought of the ball valve on the header tank so will check that although I don't think it will be this because their cold water pressure is fine (also fed from header tank).

Have they added a power shower / shower pump that is sucking air through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water air locked on solar thermal system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock