Search the forum,

Discuss Hot to stop banging when boiler calls for hot water in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I have a worcester heatslave external oil boiler which makes a large bang every time we use hot water when the central heating is running. It seems that as the diverter valve moves towards the hot water position there is a single clunk which can be heard all around the house. The diverter valve has had new internals and the actuator was replaced recently for a different problem. Would appreciate any advice on this please.

Is there an auto bypass fitted ?

I would recommend having one fitted should get rid of the clunk

Yes,

What exact make/model of circ pump do you have and see what mode and setting it at, you may be able to reduce its setting which may help to reduce the clunk.
Also check for clunk by shutting the boiler/circ pump down when in CH mode only then c/o to HW mode only, restart boiler, check for clunk.

Should also have asked if it's a mid position valve that allows HW & CH on together?
No its priority to hot water, all the rads probably have trvs. All shutting down and then nowhere for pump to go, swaps to hot water and 'thud'.

For a quick fix till sorted permanently take trv head off on one of rads.

Hi
Pump is a danfoss ups 15-70. The setting is on 3 which Worcester recommended. There have been some good suggestions made and I will do some experimenting now.

I can't find the pump curves for that model but can't see the need for setting 3, I would try it on setting 2 and even setting 1 might be sufficient, you could try it on both these settings to see if it helps, also you might post a link to your pump as there are other settings as well and also details of the diverter valve.
You might also check the cylinder coil and see if it has a (balancing) gate valve installed on the return and see how many turns open.

I can't find the pump curves for that model but can't see the need for setting 3, I would try it on setting 2 and even setting 1 might be sufficient, you could try it on both these settings to see if it helps, also you might post a link to your pump as there are other settings as well and also details of the diverter valve.
You might also check the cylinder coil and see if it has a (balancing) gate valve installed on the return and see how many turns open.
Sorry it's a grundfoss 15-70

If one isn't too worried about ultimate HW cylinder reheat times etc then reduced flow rate won't impact greatly, the main tool (apart from coil area) is having a very high boiler flow temperature on HW duty, most boilers now with HW priority boost the boiler flow temperature up to 80C. In any case even if the boiler does cycle a bit when cylinder is approaching its SP, a oil fired boiler is well able for it as it spends its whole life continuously cycling for years on end.

If one isn't too worried about ultimate HW cylinder reheat times etc then reduced flow rate won't impact greatly, the main tool (apart from coil area) is having a very high boiler flow temperature on HW duty, most boilers now with HW priority boost the boiler flow temperature up to 80C. In any case even if the boiler does cycle a bit when cylinder is approaching its SP, a oil fired boiler is well able for it as it spends its whole life continuously cycling for years on end.

It's an external oil combi, John.

Reply to Hot to stop banging when boiler calls for hot water in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock