Search the forum,

Discuss Hot radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

azzvon12

Hello all if anyone can help it would be appriciated.I Have just been to a large house,the central heating and hot water runs off a system boiler the hot water is then stored in a cylinder.The problem is that the heating for the house is controlled by two thermostats which are turned off at the moment but there is still a couple of radiators on the top floor of the house that are red hot the radiators have TRV'S on them which are also turned off the only way i could turn the rads off was by shutting off the engineers valves.I realise this could be due to multitude of problems but if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate the help ..cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
when you say top floor is this a floor that has been added after others ie roof conversion
are radiators getting hot near cylinder
are thermostatic valves on return pipework

Most likely cause is reverse circulation due to incorrect pipework. The cylinder return is probably teed in in the wrong place.

Mike

Hmm!

Did they ever turn off?

Are the pins stuck in the TRV's? Had that a few times. Take heads off and gently release pins, try WD40 and grease with HT silicon grease.

Worth a go!

But really, as Mike says, you shouldn't be getting circulation if the motorised valves are closed, unless there is a pipework problem.

As you know though, its easy enough to say that, but where are the pipe runs in a big house and how do they go?

As usual try simple things first perhaps.

Good fortune! !!

if this has only just started and assuming no recent work then i thiink incorrect pipework can be ruled out leaving problem with motorised valve/controller
however if new installation or rads have been added etc then yes pipework but that wld be a ballache job

Thanks for all the advice The TRV is broke as turning it off had no effect and the pin was jammed solid but it is really bugging me as to why the rads are hot in the first place and i want to do a good job.so i will investigate further.As Berni2 says trying to find the pipe runs in this place is going to be nightmare.Also in the boiler house there was no sign of the motorized valves so could they be locacted closer to the room stats?of which there are on two in the whole house both on the ground floor.Once again thanks for all the help. youve given me plenty to think about

Last edited by a moderator:
Your motorised valves would normally be situated close to the hot water cylinder.
Check that they are not closed. If so then the motor will need replacing or the wiring needs looking at.
I think however that if the pin on the TRV is stuck then obviously it is being bypassed and probably needs replacing.
Good luck
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock