Search the forum,

Discuss Hot air extraction in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I would like to extract warm/hot air from an airing cupboard. I intend to use an inline extractor and flat trunking. The run is 5 metres. What problems am I likely to experience ?.

Make sure you cut a vent into the door to allow air to replace the air you are removing - otherwise you won’t be able to open the door!

The heat isn't exactly free heat. Whatever energy source you're using to heat the hot water is providing you with this heat. Depending on the age and quality of your cylinder you may find the heat loss from the cylinder while extracting this hot air could increase your fuel bill, how much though I couldn't tell you. Nice idea though.

The heat isn't exactly free heat. Whatever energy source you're using to heat the hot water is providing you with this heat. Depending on the age and quality of your cylinder you may find the heat loss from the cylinder while extracting this hot air could increase your fuel bill, how much though I couldn't tell you. Nice idea though.
The stove is a Stovax Huntingdon and we burn very dry wood. There is no water connection to it. Just a simple stove which we use every day for the last twenty years as our main source of heating.
My concern was about condensation in the trunking.

4” fan and insulated duct and a fan speed controller

I would like to extract warm/hot air from an airing cupboard. I intend to use an inline extractor and flat trunking. The run is 5 metres. What problems am I likely to experience ?.
Have you ever seen this done elsewhere? No, that's because it's not going to work.

Unless the tank is very poorly insulated, you'll only get about 100W of heating. The 'wind-chill' from the moving air will negate any benefit. You'll also end up with a cold airing cupboard, most people want them warm to get clothes really dry.

If you try this make sure the fan is up to it as lots of the cheap ones are pure rubbish .......... especially over long runs

I am not following this. Are you attempting to bring heat from an airing cupboard with a hot water cylinder in it or a stove/stove back? (you say there is no water connection).

If you are using fans to pull air from one room to another where there is an open flue'd appliance installed, beware the flue performance!

I may be totally misunderstanding your aims and intentions but thought it should be mentioned.
Can you tell us more detail of the set up you have?

I am not following this. Are you attempting to bring heat from an airing cupboard with a hot water cylinder in it or a stove/stove back? (you say there is no water connection).

If you are using fans to pull air from one room to another where there is an open flue'd appliance installed, beware the flue performance!

I may be totally misunderstanding your aims and intentions but thought it should be mentioned.
Can you tell us more detail of the set up you have?
The airing cupboard is a store for kitchen utensils and is alongside the double insulated stove pipe.

Have you ever seen this done elsewhere? No, that's because it's not going to work.

Unless the tank is very poorly insulated, you'll only get about 100W of heating. The 'wind-chill' from the moving air will negate any benefit. You'll also end up with a cold airing cupboard, most people want them warm to get clothes really dry.
I have not seen this done anywhere else; that's why I am enquiring on this forum.

Eg

Reply to Hot air extraction in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock