Search the forum,

Discuss horstmann 2 port motorised valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blestowe

I have 2 valves of this type fitted in my CH system and both motors have failed.

One was fitted in the airing cupboard in free air and the other in a small enclosure with no ambient air circulation.

One failed after about 18 months and the other in less than a year. Looking at other posts on this site on motorised valves, it seems that a short life is to be expected. Before I replace the motors I would be interested in others comments on reliability of these units. As I live in Bristol I might be tempted to try and talk to some technical bod at Horstmann's. I see in their literature that they give " a no quibble 2 year guarantee" on these units.

The installation leaflet says they are capable of operating in ambient of 50 degrees centigrade but no memtion of air circulation. As the motor dissipates 6.5 watts all time it is on, it is going to get a bit warm.

If I fit a new motor I think I will leave the cover off and fit a heat sink on motor.

The valves only give off 6.5W when the motor is holding the valve open; i.e when calling for heat or hot water. A lot of the heat you feel on the motor/cover is conductive heat from the pipes.

Horstmann valves are not as reliable as Honeywell.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for.
Ive fitted quite a bit of there gear this year, because its cheap, but had no end of problems especially with thier programmers.
If the job wont stand the cost of honeywell its probably not worth doing. IMHO of course.

are these the ones with a plastic cover and no earth?
They have blue plastic covers but there is an earth connection via terminal on motor plate and green/yellow wire in cable bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to horstmann 2 port motorised valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock