Search the forum,

Discuss Horizontal Vented Hot Water Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Is a horizontal cylinder (indirect) as efficient as a standard vertical cylinder? No choice but to use use a horizontal but just asking the question to those who have experience ...

Is a horizontal cylinder (indirect) as efficient as a standard vertical cylinder? No choice but to use use a horizontal but just asking the question to those who have experience .
Hi Marty, I think you ought to provide a competant diagram of your existing layout and the proposed set up and maybe some annotated photographs then we can look and help you
centralheatking

No you will have more hot water in a vertical / standard cylinder

To get the max cap out of a horizontal cylinder you need a destrat pump eg pumping the cold water out of the bottom and putting it in the top

Vented or unvented horizontal cylinder?
Vented, it's in the thread title.

I think that what he wanted to to know is that vertical cylinders are the normal choice because a larger fraction of the stored volume can be heated to the setpoint temperature without the need for an de-stratification pump.

For details he can use the spec sheets to compare the ratio of V40 to storage volume for the vertical and horizontal variants he is interested in.

Thank you all for the helpful replies. Yes as Chuck says its a normal vented set up. Basically, the plan is to replace the round cold water storage water tank with a coffin tank and raise to the max height in the loft.
Using a horizontal vented cylinder beneath it will provide a full one metre clearance from top of the hot cylinder to the base of the cold tank.
I know most will say fit an unvented tank such as a Megaflow and that'll solve all issues however thats a cost I cant afford at present .... Again appreciate your thoughts on whether the above is doable ?

Just use a normal vertical cylinder, as long as the cylinder is below the cws that’s all that matters.

The pressure at your outlets is determined by the height of the cws - it doesn’t really matter if the hot cylinder is in the loft or on the ground floor.

Again appreciate your thoughts on whether the above is doable ?
The devil will be in the detail. In particular: access for maintenance, the strength and stability of the structure supporting the CWST and the load distribution. May even need a structural engineer to check design, which won't be free.

Won’t be much pressure out of the hot tap

Thanks Ben Gee, so there isn't an industry spec on clearance between the two tanks ? so whether its 100 cms or 10 cms it should in theory be fine?
Chuck, plenty of access all around in the lost and all sheeted out. The CWST is 75 gallons and already on a platform that can be raised but I take your point re the added weight of the hot water cylinder
Speaking of which is there a guide to the HW cylinder recommended size?
[automerge]1567878943[/automerge]
Shaun
So the distance between the tanks does effect the Hot water pressure ?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the helpful replies. Yes as Chuck says its a normal vented set up. Basically, the plan is to replace the round cold water storage water tank with a coffin tank and raise to the max height in the loft.
Using a horizontal vented cylinder beneath it will provide a full one metre clearance from top of the hot cylinder to the base of the cold tank.
I know most will say fit an unvented tank such as a Megaflow and that'll solve all issues however thats a cost I cant afford at present .. Again appreciate your thoughts on whether the above is doable ?
What’s the reason for moving it to the loft?

Reply to Horizontal Vented Hot Water Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock