Search the forum,

Discuss Hopeful new plumber any advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumb4r

[h=2]
icon1.png
Hopeful new plumber any advice please[/h]
Hi,

I am 23 and have a degree, I understand that this could make me less employable as the stigma attached to university students being stuck up. However, I am unqualified at the moment and looking to become a gas safe engineer initially, then to diversify into plumbing as it has been mentioned to me that it is not to difficult if you can do gas work, as the pipe and connection work is easier and the general principles are the same. As I have not just left school the grants available to me are not the same as a 16 or 18 year old, this means that I will have to pay for my training what ever way I get my qualification. As I am fortunate enough to have parents willing to stump me the money I am looking at a shorter course than many colleges offer, (about 3 months including portfolio work) this is a slight short cut. I am not sure though if this would mean that when trying to get employment with a certificate that an employer would believe that I am capable of many jobs? Also would this mean that I would be put on an apprentice wage until I can show that I am capable of completing work independently, or until qualified as a plumber. Also if the training provided in the shorter course is sufficient enough to go and work for someone or if further training would be needed, I am a fairly practical person and capable of using a spanner/ screwdriver and wrench competently. I have seen that some of the comments show that many professionals have had bad experiences with young apprenticeships either because of bad manners and grammar or a lack of enthusiasm or confidence to put themselves forward, instead having parents try and get them work. As an older person trying to get into the profession, is this a benefit or disadvantage? I am no longer so keen on big nights out and unlikely to call in sick(unless actually ill), also I have a driving licence which I think could be useful for getting parts etc. Is it?
I would like some advice on what professionals think of this idea of getting into the trade. Things like; would this cause any problems that someone less informed may not see/understand? Is the qualification of the course that I am thinking of worthwhile/useful(It's city and guilds accredited CAA)? What kind of cost a course that gets me registered as gas safe should be? What kind of a wage I could expect when starting? Is there much work available, and is more or less work becoming available within the industry? Is there any additional qualification that a potential employer may see as necessary or desire?
Any help and comments are welcome.

plumb4r​

[h=2]
icon1.png
Hopeful new plumber any advice please[/h]
Hi,

I am 23 and have a degree, I understand that this could make me less employable as the stigma attached to university students being stuck up. However, I am unqualified at the moment and looking to become a gas safe engineer initially, then to diversify into plumbing as it has been mentioned to me that it is not to difficult if you can do gas work, as the pipe and connection work is easier and the general principles are the same. As I have not just left school the grants available to me are not the same as a 16 or 18 year old, this means that I will have to pay for my training what ever way I get my qualification. As I am fortunate enough to have parents willing to stump me the money I am looking at a shorter course than many colleges offer, (about 3 months including portfolio work) this is a slight short cut. I am not sure though if this would mean that when trying to get employment with a certificate that an employer would believe that I am capable of many jobs? Also would this mean that I would be put on an apprentice wage until I can show that I am capable of completing work independently, or until qualified as a plumber. Also if the training provided in the shorter course is sufficient enough to go and work for someone or if further training would be needed, I am a fairly practical person and capable of using a spanner/ screwdriver and wrench competently. I have seen that some of the comments show that many professionals have had bad experiences with young apprenticeships either because of bad manners and grammar or a lack of enthusiasm or confidence to put themselves forward, instead having parents try and get them work. As an older person trying to get into the profession, is this a benefit or disadvantage? I am no longer so keen on big nights out and unlikely to call in sick(unless actually ill), also I have a driving licence which I think could be useful for getting parts etc. Is it?
I would like some advice on what professionals think of this idea of getting into the trade. Things like; would this cause any problems that someone less informed may not see/understand? Is the qualification of the course that I am thinking of worthwhile/useful(It's city and guilds accredited CAA)? What kind of cost a course that gets me registered as gas safe should be? What kind of a wage I could expect when starting? Is there much work available, and is more or less work becoming available within the industry? Is there any additional qualification that a potential employer may see as necessary or desire?
Any help and comments are welcome.

plumb4r​

You aint a clue sunshine!

if you've got a degree then try and get a better job than a gas engineer !! there are tons of jobs in construction which you could go for site surveyor quantity surveyor, with guaranteed salarys of 60,000k a year employed if you are lucky enough they all require going to uni and so on, if you already have a degree then you may have a better chance.

P.S a monkey can use a spanner and a screwdriver

plus i would say its easier to go form plumbing into gas, not the other way around

Last edited:
You aint a clue sunshine!

Couldn't agree more.

Diversify into plumbing???

I think you need to do what they would call in a uni as "background reading"

But on a serious note. You didn't go to school for 12 years to spend 2 years in 6th form to do a 3 year degree
The same applies to gas

Nearly everyone on here who is successful and sage with gas has served a 3-5 year plumbing appretiship before going to gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hopeful new plumber any advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock