Search the forum,

Discuss Honeywell Wireless stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello my pedigree chums. Interesting one this..
Called to check operation of a Y6630D. (Turn dial type). Bosch Worcester boiler. Y plan via programmer. Cylinder stat and valve operation all correct. Home owner informs me either house too hot or cold, no comfort temp level. I suspected large fridge next to boiler blocking signal sometimes. Moved receiver to above kitchen unit and therefore higher than fridge. Stat operation now perfect. But stat is 5 degrees out on calibration. So lent them a spare Y6630d that I had until I can get a new stat. House now nice and toasty.
Next day home owner rings me and tells me that once the stat is satisfied, approximately every 3 minutes the stat calls for heat and runs for 2 minutes. And does this until a fall in temperature and then runs continuesly until satisfied again. Then starts the whole on/off process again. I replaced the Y6630d for the New DT92E digital unit and it does exactly the same thing. Honeywell inform me this is normal modern day stat operation protocol called TPI operation. Fair enough.
But my customer says this constant operation when satisfied is wearing out the boiler. Fair point. Bosch Worcester would not comment on Honeywell controls, but said it seemed odd operation. One other thing. The boiler from instruction from the heating stat takes at least 2 minutes to ramp up to full heat and by the time it has reached its peak the heating stat shuts it off. So no benefit in heat output can be considered as the issue. So in a nutshell - is this wearing out the boiler?
Now back to Twitter......

It would appear that the TPI duty-cycle has been set to 12 cycles per hour, which is not normal. Use 6-cycles per hour for a gas boiler and 3-cycles per hour for oil. Unless, of course, the boiler manufacturer states otherwise. The installer manual for the thermostat should explain how to change this value.

The TPI is cycling in the manner described in order to reduce the amount of heat produced by the boiler below its minimum continuous output so the fact it is not getting up to full power is not a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck for the response. I will look into this before I go back to get payment. I want to make sure I have at least some answers in case I get a thrown some questions that I cannot answer. Have a good new year.

Thanks Chuck for the response. I will look into this before I go back to get payment. I want to make sure I have at least some answers in case I get a thrown some questions that I cannot answer. Have a good new year.

The details you need are in the spec sheet, starting page 14:

https://heatingcontrols.honeywellhome.com/Documents/All/pdf/DT92E-Spec-sheet.pdf

These gadgets seem to get confused sometimes. So I usually start by resetting both the sender and receiver to factory defaults, then rebind, and customise the specific settings that need tweaking.

Reply to Honeywell Wireless stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock