Search the forum,

Discuss Honeywell V4073A 3 Port Motorised Valve Wiring question in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
i checked the wiring colours are the same from the junction box to the current 3 port valve, as the new one. But although I could turn off the house mains, I would prefer not to, is it easy to tell if the wires are live, using a multimeter, ? Have an isolation switch, but not 100% sure if that isolates everything relating to this valve.

thanks

If you have a multimeter very easy take off junction box lid check live supply to box (makes sure multimeter is working!)
Switch of isolator take out fuse check nothing is live in junction box.

Current guidance of dead testing is to use approved test equipment, a multimeter is no such equipment. Should be a test lamp or 2 pole voltage tester, including testing equipment on a known source.

Current guidance of dead testing is to use approved test equipment, a multimeter is no such equipment. Should be a test lamp or 2 pole voltage tester, including testing equipment on a known source.
This is amazing, all I want to do is see if the wires are safely isolated so I can replace the 3 way valve......as I can’t find an answer I will just turn the mains off, really hoped to get a reply such as check wire colour A with wire colour B and check if voltage zero......

This is amazing, all I want to do is see if the wires are safely isolated so I can replace the 3 way valve....as I can’t find an answer I will just turn the mains off, really hoped to get a reply such as check wire colour A with wire colour B and check if voltage zero....

I could tell you which wires to check, but as you mention “safely isolated” it would be a breach of h&s regulations. I wouldn’t want you to injure yourself or worse. This is why such procedures and regulations exist, sorry if it’s not what you want to hear.

Also in a wiring centre like this - if someone’s done something odd (more often than you might think) , then you could test for dead but power could come from another source as you are working on it...

Your boiler / wiring should have a single point of isolation, normally a fused spur ..... occasionally I find systems with 2 supplies which isn’t good

you need a way to check the wiring is isolated

A follow up question, I changed the Honeywell 3 port valve, I turned the house mains off ‘ just in case’ & all went well......the problem with the 3 port valve I replaced, exactly same model, was that it often got ‘ stuck’ when being asked for heating, the hot water side was fine. I found that when this happened, I pushed the lever down fully ( some resistance felt) it then started the boiler / pump etc and worked fine for several hours, but maybe when the room stat was satisfied and then went to demand again the problem happened, not sure. But is this a sign of a faulty motor, / solenoid, can it be fixed, or is it indeed worth trying to fix....just want to know if it should go in the bin or not....will keep the base, as I think it’s the head only at fault.....thanks

Reply to Honeywell V4073A 3 Port Motorised Valve Wiring question in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock