Search the forum,

Discuss Honeywell ST9100C set to 'off' but boiler still provides domestic hot water. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello folks - first post here.

Last week our faulty Honeywell ST6100C programmer was replaced by a ST9100C, this being the Honeywell-recommended replacement. Our regular heating engineer did the swap because the backplate was stuffed, so a simple DIY clip-on swap wasn't possible (by me at least 😄).

This programmer controls our Grant oil boiler, but a feature we dislike on both the old and new programmers is that the boiler provides domestic h/w even when the programmer control is set to 'off'. This is darned annoying as the boiler kicks in at night, which is noisy and it's only heating and reheating hot water that we don't use! We use very little hot water during the day and this continuous cutting in/out just uses more oil - though how much I don't know.
We can overcome this by turning the whole system off at the switched spur that provides power, but it seems the wrong approach. Surely 'off' should mean 'off''?
I've read the Honeywell booklet and it doesn't help on this score, so I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light please?
Thanks.

So you have a Grant combi boiler? What's the model of boiler please and I will find a wiring schematic. Sounds like you have the boiler set to heat the slave tank constantly and not timed, which is what you would prefer.

Combi! That's the word I couldn't remember!
It's a Grant 70/90, outdoor job. It's pretty old - 2003 I think. It's been serviced regularly, but has cost us a bit the last couple of years.

Attachments

• IMG_20211006_130554.jpg
    IMG_20211006_130554.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211006_130610.jpg
    IMG_20211006_130610.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 10
I'm just on the phone to Grant trying to source the right manual. In the mean time is there a rocker switch on the boiler panel for hot water and if so is it set to constant?

I've just got off the phone from Grant technical. He's sent me two manuals but neither appear to be the right one for your boiler. Can you see if the boiler data plate can clear up exactly which model it is.
He did mention on some of their older models you couldnt have CH without HW being on as well. Another possibility is there's an internal link by passing the programmer, or something I should mention is perhaps you have a two channel programmer but it only controls the CH a HW is wired in as constant at the boiler. If you take the head off your programmer and expose the base plate how many wires are in there?

Update. I have been informed by an associate that this boiler is not actually a Grant. It's a cheap Grant badged as a Eurocal. The programmer you have is actually a single channel programmer which only controls the central heating, therefore your hot water is wired in to be permanently on within the boiler. I'd imagine you could rewire it so you could time your hot water but without seeing the correct manual I couldn't say for sure as as I pointed out above some older combis that wasn't possible.

Well, thanks for taking the time and trouble trying to sort this out. I've had a closer look at the data plate, which was partially hidden, and although it says it's a 70/90, it's not a Grant 70/90 as your colleague suggested. The programmer is indeed a single channel one.
We inherited this boiler when we moved here over 10 years ago and accepted that it was a Grant as it had the same look and model number as at our last house which had a genuine Grant boiler.
We've lived with this irritating 'feature' for 10+ years, so I guess we'll revert to our old habit of just switching everything off at the switched spur overnight again. 😔
Chances are we're going to be looking to replace in the next few years. That'll be a whole new can of worms no doubt! 😄
Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20211006_171558.jpg
    IMG_20211006_171558.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 6
Well, thanks for taking the time and trouble trying to sort this out. I've had a closer look at the data plate, which was partially hidden, and although it says it's a 70/90, it's not a Grant 70/90 as your colleague suggested. The programmer is indeed a single channel one.
We inherited this boiler when we moved here over 10 years ago and accepted that it was a Grant as it had the same look and model number as at our last house which had a genuine Grant boiler.
We've lived with this irritating 'feature' for 10+ years, so I guess we'll revert to our old habit of just switching everything off at the switched spur overnight again. 😔
Chances are we're going to be looking to replace in the next few years. That'll be a whole new can of worms no doubt! 😄
Thanks again for all your help.

You might find it's possible to wire it in so you can have timed control. Of course you would need a two channel programmer, some cable and someone capable of wiring it correctly. If you could source the correct manual you would be able to tell for sure.
Of course you can carry on as you are and keep switching it off overnight, however this would me the heat store will run cold and you would need to let that come back up to temperature in the morning before having hot water, continuing this method will also slightly increase your fuel bill.

You might find it's possible to wire it in so you can have timed control. Of course you would need a two channel programmer, some cable and someone capable of wiring it correctly. If you could source the correct manual you would be able to tell for sure.
Of course you can carry on as you are and keep switching it off overnight, however this would me the heat store will run cold and you would need to let that come back up to temperature in the morning before having hot water, continuing this method will also slightly increase your fuel bill.
I might have a look at the manufacturers website when I get chance to see if there's a manual I can download. It probably won't make much sense to me, but we've got a very good electrician lined up to do some work for us, so I might get him to have a look. Our regular heating engineer is a good bloke but he's got major health problems and I don't want to bother him on something that's not an emergency.
All the best, and thanks again.

Reply to Honeywell ST9100C set to 'off' but boiler still provides domestic hot water. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered the boiler won't fire up when hot taps are turned on so no hot water. The boiler fires up periodically to heat water but not when we turn on taps. I...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock