Search the forum,

Discuss Honeywell 3 port valve not moving & making loud noises in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey all,

Recently the Honeywell V4073A 3 port valve in the air cupboard has starting making loud screeching noises and the system is also not operating as it should. I've noticed that the Radiators are not getting hot but just warm and the thermostat isn't having any effect on switching boiller on when it should. Sometimes when the system timer goes off the noise stops, sometimes it doesn't and I have to power down the system to stop the noise

With just hot water on there is flow going to the radiators and when the HW reaches temperature than the valve starts screeching the pump stays on but the boiler switches off.

When the system is on both HW and CH and when the HW reaches temperature the valve starts screeching, the boiler switches off but the pump keeps running.

When the system is on CH the valve starts screeching the pump is off and boiler is off. Adjusting the thermostat has no effect.

My suspicion is it's just the valve head - something electrial gone wrong - maybe it's just the motor. The lever on the side is fully slack all the time no matter the system setting (HW or CH). 'Course actual valve could be seized? This system is probably 20 years old so that's possible.

How would I diagnose this. I am capable of changing the head myself but the valve would need a plumber to do it. I did once change the innards of a Drayton before they came out with the detachable head model so the head part I can manage.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
S

To add a bit more information

After a while the lever on the side is slack half way and if I move it fully across than can hear screeching noises. This is with system timers off.

Removed the head and check spindle - moves freely with my hand. I think the spindle only travels about 30 degree?.

Any other tests you'd like just let me know but I will obtain a new head and go from there.

Last edited:

Reply to Honeywell 3 port valve not moving & making loud noises in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit when not in use which is 90% of the time, can I put a 3 zone valve on the flow after the tenth rad and divert to a new T piece on the return to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
T
Hello, I have just moved in to a new flat this week and have a problem with noise coming from somewhere around the top of the boiler. It's a loud clicking/knocking sound that lasts about a minute, stops for 20-30 seconds and starts again. It seems to happen at night, starting in the evening...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock