Search the forum,

Discuss HomeServe "service" or lack of in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a contract with HomeServe to supply "emergency" plumbing service should I ever have a problem.
Recently I was clearing out the gutters using a plastic yogurt-pot-type-thing to scoop out the crud. Unfortunately, this pot fell down the soak-away pipe that the gutters drain in to.
I called HomeServe who came out and I explained to the guy what had happened. He said, "It's a soak-away. What do you expect me to do?"
I was stunned and annoyed.
To cut a long story short, he looked in his van and concluded that he had nothing that was of any use. I did persuade him to put his camera down after much huffing on his part. This revealed that the pot was only about 18 inches in and totally blocking the pipe. He pulled back his camera, said "sorry there's nothing I can do" and left.
Admittedly, he did have the idea that maybe a vacuum (he said, "Do you have a Henry?") might work to suck it out but he didn't have one.
Subsequently, I used my scruffy old workshop vacuum and, amazingly, did manage to get it out.

My question is: Am I being unreasonable to think that this is an astounding lack of service? I would have expected a "can do" attitude and that he had some useful tools - his van was practically empty!

Comment please.

To be fair, the fault lies with you, so perhaps he was coming up with excuses not to do it? Emergency cover in my opinion is for say an uncontrollable leak, bursts pipe etc, not a yogurt pot stuck in a soak away, that was caused by the homeowner.

I’ve very surprised they came out probably a bill in the post :D

I'm amazed they came out, the service desk should have explained it's not covered.
However it's their fault they came out so I wouldn't be paying if they billed for it.

Homeserve_LI.jpg

The amount of calls that start :

"I have plumbing cover with ***. I called them but they say the problem I have isn't covered. I was shocked, I thought I was covered for that. Can you help?"

Do they mislead the customer as to the type of cover they are selling?

Get rid of them.

Take the monthly payment and put it to one side. Find a trusted tradesman for future use and use the homeserve fund.

I work for a small firm and carry enough stock on my van to pretty much fix any issue first time (excluding manufacturer required parts).

I’ve got plumbing stuff, rain water, drainage, cameras, a drain router/rods, wet vac, soldering gear, roofing/lead/acetylene gear, trowels/cement/tiling gear, wood working tools, power tools/drills/coring gear, water transfer pump/hoses, electrical cable/sockets/plugs/bulbs etc, decorating/plaster/filler/paint brushes/rollers etc,

I would have resolved your issue within 15 mins of finishing the loverly cup of tea and chocolate biscuit you provided.

I’ll put the horn down now.

I’ve got plumbing stuff, rain water, drainage, cameras, a drain router/rods, wet vac, soldering gear, roofing/lead/acetylene gear, trowels/cement/tiling gear, wood working tools, power tools/drills/coring gear, water transfer pump/hoses, electrical cable/sockets/plugs/bulbs etc, decorating/plaster/filler/paint brushes/rollers etc,
Do you drive a HGV? 😂

I see.

However, the policy says that blockages are covered and doesn't have an exclusion: "unless caused by a bumble-footed numpty letting sundry plastic comestible containers fall down the drain!"
Anyway, HomeServe took responsibility for the failure to clear, apologised and said they'd review the equipment carried on the vans ... and I'm sure they will(!)

I think I like your idea Timmy D. I don't suppose you do jobs down in Cornwall?

I see.

However, the policy says that blockages are covered and doesn't have an exclusion: "unless caused by a bumble-footed numpty letting sundry plastic comestible containers fall down the drain!"
Anyway, HomeServe took responsibility for the failure to clear, apologised and said they'd review the equipment carried on the vans ... and I'm sure they will(!)

I think I like your idea Timmy D. I don't suppose you do jobs down in Cornwall?
Bit far for me buddy but you’ll find good independent guys all over.

Reply to HomeServe "service" or lack of in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock