Search the forum,

Discuss Homemade Mixer Tap Becoming An Annoyance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago I made mixer taps for all our bathrooms. The three smaller ones on basins have all been fine but the larger one on the bath is forever dripping from the shaft seal.

I've replaced this seal twice in three years and it stops dripping for a few months but then it starts again. Is there any kind of reseating tool for the shaft seal? Last time I put on in I tried a little grease in the assembly but it didn't help, now it's leaving a stain on the rim of the bath where the prip lands :)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

nice job :), not sure if normal reseater would work, but what if you remove valve and dip it in the bleach (one which removes limescale), that could work, but not guarantee

Last edited:
Well you cheered me up with those pictures :lol: That is certainly a new one for me. Very original.

It needs the packing gland repacked. Easy done with a bit ptfe tape. You could try tightening it a wee bit but it will make the valve tighter to turn if you do it too far.

Thanks Galaxy, I de-scale the thing every time I dismantle it, I even tried polishing the shaft and seat area with some Brasso last time but it didn't seem to help. The scale mark on the face of the nut is just from it being constantly moist.

Well you cheered me up with those pictures :lol: That is certainly a new one for me. Very original.

It needs the packing gland repacked. Easy done with a bit ptfe tape. You could try tightening it a wee bit but it will make the valve tighter to turn if you do it too far.

Thanks Tamz, glad you like them :) If you ask me nicely I'll post some pictures of my homemade toilet roll holders and curtain rails, all made from recycled plumbing parts.

The packing gland is the part I've been replacing regularly, I just couldn't remember it's proper name. I do nip it up an eighth of a turn every few months to stem the drip but it never seals completely or for a long period. I'm wondering if there's an imperfection in the casting and it might be better to just replace the damn thing, just thought I'd check with the experts first in case someone knew of an old Apache trick to fix it.

I agree with Tamz however i would not replace with ptfe as once the taps have Been opened and closed a couple of times it Will weep again. Imo you should use loctite 55 thread as this allows turning without compromising seal

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think they look (sorry can't really say it without sounding bad)
Silly
Why would you do that in your home
And as that's the first I've ever seen I can say hope it's the last lol
But full marks on ingenuity just not my kind of thing I'm afraid

Thanks Tamz, glad you like them :) If you ask me nicely I'll post some pictures of my homemade toilet roll holders and curtain rails, all made from recycled plumbing parts.

The packing gland is the part I've been replacing regularly, I just couldn't remember it's proper name. I do nip it up an eighth of a turn every few months to stem the drip but it never seals completely or for a long period. I'm wondering if there's an imperfection in the casting and it might be better to just replace the damn thing, just thought I'd check with the experts first in case someone knew of an old Apache trick to fix it.

I do like them, pipes are my thing but i'm not sure the wife would :smile:

The main problem is with constant turning off and on, no matter what you use to pack it, it will need redone from time to time Loctite 55 would probably last longest.
This stuff
Henkel Loctite - Loctite 55 - HOME
Taps now have o rings on the spindle which last longer.
If you want to try an old way use wool or hemp and vaseline.

Sorry to hear you're not keen on them Gray. Being on the South African coast the whole house has a beach type cottage feel and probably not anything like you'd get in the UK. It's a rustic interior and the taps don't really look out of place in the setting as a whole. Main thing is that wifey likes them so therefore they're good by me as well :)

I'm going to try the Locktite 55 next time I dismantle them. Does the locktite just seal the thread of the compression nut or will it also help with the seal between the gland rubber and the shaft?

Last edited:
Who said that innovation is dead?

Not sure Mrs MM would be impressed though.

A few years ago there was a product called Stemoline String which was used for packing glands, I think it disappeared from the UK because it was asbestos based.

However, I have had success packing glands using ordinary cotton string covered in graphite grease.

I'm a bit worried about using graphite grease which I'm guessing is black in colour, if it leaks it would probably stain the bath which is also homemade from white concrete with with polymer sealants mixed in.

I'm going to try the Locktite 55 next time I dismantle them. Does the locktite just seal the thread of the compression nut or will it also help with the seal between the gland rubber and the shaft?

You don't need anything on the nut thread. Pick out any old packing, wrap it around the shaft a few turns and press it in then tighten the nut.

I don't like the look but love your ingenuity deffo first class and I'm about to build a house so I may end up stealing some of your ideas if the budget runs away lol

Good luck with your new build, I hope it doesn't become necessary for you. :)

It'll be reet gray just use chrome pipe being a pro....easier for Mrs to clean :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Homemade Mixer Tap Becoming An Annoyance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock