Search the forum,

Discuss Home Extension Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Homebuilder

Hi all.

I have bought a new house which is in need of modernisation. It is a Victorian semi which I intend extend at the back to create a large 'family room'. I will be hiring a contractor in a few weeks time and have had some preliminary discussions but I would like to do some further research beforehand. After development I hope to have a 4 bed property with two first floor bathrooms and one downstairs. I would like to fit the latest (high pressure) style of taps and shower heads (eg the kitchen will feature one of those vertical hose-type taps for rinsing dishes before putting into the dishwasher). The flooring in the new extension would probably be stone over an under-floor heating system. The current boiler is old and would need replacement. The fourth bedroom may be situated in the loft which may make a cold water tank (vented system?) unfeasable

I thought you guys would be experts to ask for advice but I'm not asking anything too taxing. I would just like to get recommendations for brands and/or systems that I should look out for and do the research before my plumber says 'so what do you want?'. I don't want to hold any of the other build up whilst we decide on the plumbing.

From what I have read so far my assumptions are that I would need and unvented system with a decent condensing boiler and a pressurised hot water cylinder (please feel free to challenge). What brands or companies would you recommend for:

* A new boiler
* A hot water cylinder
* An under-floor heating system (for approx 64 sq m)
* Kitchen and bathroom taps and ceramics

My plumber won't have the time to scour the market for good deals. I would like to put a shortlist together for us to discuss at a later stage

Another assumption that I am making is that all of the above would depend on upgrading the mains 'feed' from the current lead piping as well.

Any tips that you could provide would be gratefully received.:)

You either have an unvented system or a combi boiler (one that is large enough for the demand). Personally I would suggest unvented.

Megaflow are my favourite unvented systems.

Boiler - is it gas or oil? Just about all boilers are condensing boilers now.

Kitchen and bathroom taps and ceramics - depends on how much you want to pay and you get what you pay for. Go for branded stuff - the Armitage Shanks Sandringham suite is an example of the better "value" type suites I usually suggest for people on a budget.

Be careful of imported stuff like Ikea - can be difficult to fit and convert to UK fittings.

Yes, you definitely want rid of all the lead piping!

Last edited:
The system you have chosen is what I would have specified.
Boilers, I like Worcester Bosch and vaillant.
Unvented Cylinder, I havent fitted one since 2004, Megaflows were the market leader then, but boiler manufacgures are doing thier own brand range now so ask your plumber.
Underfloor heating, I like John Guest speedfit, my local rep is very helpful, I also like Uponor unipipe you can bend it and it will keep its shape without kinking ,a bit like a pipe cleaner.
Youve also quite rightly mentioned the mains supply pipe, go onto the cylinders manufactures web site they will give you the reccomended pressure and flow rate needed, you never know yours could be up to it.
If its not up to it Id fit an 80+ gallon tank in the loft then off this Id run a Salamander ESP 120 Super booster pump to the cylider, this would give you the required flow rate and pressure.

Thank you both for your replies.

I'll definitely look into megaflow and the other brands you mentioned. I feel more comfortable with a starting point now. If any other readers have input I would appreciate their comments too!

WHPES - the boiler is gas at the moment.

Blackcatgas - I am currently working under the assumption that my loft space will be needed for the 4th bedroom/en-suite so may not be able to fit a tank but will bear your comments in mind if the loft space is left alone.

Now I may be mentioning a dirty word here but here goes - BATHSTORE. Prices look good. Too good to be true?

Thanks again.

the booster pump Ive mentioned is negative head, it has a pressure vessel on it which is pre pressureized when the pump is turned on, you open the tap the pressure is released and then the pump primes itself and away you go, you turn off the tap the pump runs on for a couple of seconds and re presurises the vessel, my point being you coul have a cofin tank hidden in the bottom of the eves (the bit thats normaly partitioned off along the sides of the loft.
As for the bath store, Ive fitted alot of thier stuff now, its been fine, thier customer back up isnt nearly as good though as my local merchants who iam on first name terms with and will bend over backwards for me to solve any problems and find the right gear for me at the best possible price.

vaillant or rehema/broag condensing system boiler .mostly use ariston unvented cylindersand polyplumb underfloor
bathstore stuff can be a bit of a nightmare bits missing dont fit etc personally id find what you want in there cataloge print it out and take it to a good indepenent merchants to find you similar you should be able to get a reasonable price if you order it all at one merchants but do have some idea of what your looking for before you start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Home Extension Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock