Search the forum,

Discuss Ho wlong does hot water stay at max temp (within 4 degrees) in a boiler? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
In a typical household hot water boiler, how long does the water stay at max temperature with no more electrical energy going into it?
Please state this for different boiler sizes?
Assume properly lagged etc.

Probably never.
The boiler is set up with a pump over run to reduce the temperature of water in the boiler after the gas valve shuts off.

Most boiler are set to 3 minutes pump over run - but can be altered down to 1 minute if you deem it necessary.

Around an hour maximum before it kicks in again for pre heat

Thanks, but sorry i dont understand. After the boiler water has got to max temp, the cold water valve is opened to cool the water back down again?
What if theres no more room for any more water to go into the boiler?......say its at night time, and nobody is using hot water?

Around 10-15dc so 45-50dc

..thanks, i am speaking of the main boiler of the house, the one that provides water for the bath, shower, and presumbaly the central heating.
Sorry I am not familiar with the term "hot ater cyliner".

If you have heard of the Eddi hot water heater, then its the boiler that gets supplied by that.

Hi,
In a typical household hot water boiler, how long does the water stay at max temperature with no more electrical energy going into it?
Please state this for different boiler sizes?
Assume properly lagged etc.
Is this a homework problem by any chance?

A typical modern domestic hot water storage cylinder contains 170 litre of water and loses ca 50W. This corresponds to an average rate of cooling of about

50 [W] / ( 170 [kg] * 4200 [J / °C kg] ) * 3600 [s / hr] = 0.25 °C / hr

A small (70 litre) cylinder of the same type will cool faster, say 0.45 °C / hr, and a large (300 litre) cylinder will cooler slower, say 0.20 °C / hr.

Note that I said 'average' because I've not included the impact of stratification, which would increase the rate of cooling at the top and decrease it at the bottom.

Came across this some years ago so calcs may be done for various cylinder volumes.

I have seen cylinder losses as low as 0.25C/hr claimed for some cylinders, mine (150 Litre) is 0.45C/hr.

Hot Water Cylinder Loss​
Kwh/24 Hrs at 60C​
1.6*(0.2+0.051*V^2/3)where V is the Cylinder Volume
Cylinder Volume​
210​
Litres​
Heat Loss​
3.20​
Kwh/24hrs​
at 60C
Heat Loss​
13.12​
DegC/24hrs​
at 60C
Heat Loss​
0.55​
DegC/Hour​
at 60C

Last edited:

Reply to Ho wlong does hot water stay at max temp (within 4 degrees) in a boiler? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi Everyone, (not sure if my last post worked so apologies if this is a duplicate). I have an Ideal Boiler (vogue max system 18) and a MegaFlo Water tank. On the boiler I only have 1 dial to turn the water temp up or down (no separate dials for heating and water). On the water tank, I can...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an Ideal boiler (Vogue Max System 18) and a hot water tank (Heatrae Sadia Megaflo). On the boiler I only have 1 dial to turn the water temp up or down...
Replies
Views
Hello. I wonder if someone can help. We have noticed 2 issues in our house over the last couple of weeks . We have a Glow Worm Ultracom 24cxi combi boiler and have never had problems with it previously 1) central heating always/near constantly on. We have 2 small radiators and a towel rail...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock