Search the forum,

Discuss HMO Refurbish with 5 bathrooms in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I am new to this forum so forgive me if I add this to the wrong place.

I have purchased a 2 storeys property which will be converted to an HMO of 6 Bedrooms and 5 bathrooms(3 on the ground floor and 2 on the first floor).

The property is derelict now so we will need to rip everything out and redo most of the pipework(there is only one bathroom for the time being).

The company we contracted to do the works advised they would like to use one of these combi boilers with an integrated water tank like the one below

VIESSMANN VITODENS 111-W ZK06239 GAS/LPG COMBI STORAGE BOILER​

Is this a good solution? if not I am assuming a system boiler with a water cylinder would be the best option?

I have not asked for any other information as I am also a total noob about these matters(although learning more by the day), but if there is anything else I should watch out for and you'd be so kind as to point that out I would thank you in advance.

Best

I would 100% be looking for an architect to spec the plumbing for a build like that unless you've got a really good plumber involved.

Water pressure and flow rates are going to be really important if you're going mains. Highly likely you could have all 5 bathrooms running at once during rush hour all using around 18l/min. You're into the realms of accumulators and possibly boosters depending on pressure and at least 300L of hot water stored, 11L/min hot water showering per shower doesn't last long and will only take 1 person to have a 20 minute shower to ruin it for everyone else. Plus pipe sizing will be important as all running at once will easily exceed standard unvented cylinders you'll need a 28mm cylinder and components

These are the factors I would consider just doing someones house let alone a multi occupancy, tension in the house will likely be higher and they won't be as accepting of running out of hot water or lack of pressure to have a shower because its been used by others

Definitely need a mechanical consultant, site visit to check flow rate and pressures, may need increase in size for incoming water pipe. Storage combi ain't doing 5 bathrooms in a hmo.

We fit out and maintain quite a few HMO's in central Manchester, often for students/young professionals. Most are 6 plus bedrooms all ensuite. As said above we fit to a specification detailed by a local consultant firm, but all the systems include pump and breaker tanks for supply, unvented cylinders( sometimes 2 in series) and generally a hot water priority setup with heating zones etc. It isn't cheap to start up/setup but afterwards it's easy to maintain and complaint free as loads of hot water on demand for tenants.

I would 100% be looking for an architect to spec the plumbing for a build like that unless you've got a really good plumber involved.

Water pressure and flow rates are going to be really important if you're going mains. Highly likely you could have all 5 bathrooms running at once during rush hour all using around 18l/min. You're into the realms of accumulators and possibly boosters depending on pressure and at least 300L of hot water stored, 11L/min hot water showering per shower doesn't last long and will only take 1 person to have a 20 minute shower to ruin it for everyone else. Plus pipe sizing will be important as all running at once will easily exceed standard unvented cylinders you'll need a 28mm cylinder and components

These are the factors I would consider just doing someones house let alone a multi occupancy, tension in the house will likely be higher and they won't be as accepting of running out of hot water or lack of pressure to have a shower because its been used by others
That's excellent information; thank you very much, @fowlerboi.

Definitely need a mechanical consultant, site visit to check flow rate and pressures, may need increase in size for incoming water pipe. Storage combi ain't doing 5 bathrooms in a hmo.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion @SimonG

We fit out and maintain quite a few HMO's in central Manchester, often for students/young professionals. Most are 6 plus bedrooms all ensuite. As said above we fit to a specification detailed by a local consultant firm, but all the systems include pump and breaker tanks for supply, unvented cylinders( sometimes 2 in series) and generally a hot water priority setup with heating zones etc. It isn't cheap to start up/setup but afterwards it's easy to maintain and complaint free as loads of hot water on demand for tenants.

Great info @IND_Nick how much do you think this would cost me? A rough estimate would be excellent (if you can, obviously) as at this point I might need to look for a local consultant(the house is in the greater Manchester area) firm as you are advising as I do not feel confident with the initial contractor's advice.

Best

That's excellent information; thank you very much, @fowlerboi.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion @SimonG

Great info @IND_Nick how much do you think this would cost me? A rough estimate would be excellent (if you can, obviously) as at this point I might need to look for a local consultant(the house is in the greater Manchester area) firm as you are advising as I do not feel confident with the initial contractor's advice.

Best
Evening,

Cost wise it is difficult to say, as a lot depends on what's existing and what spec it needs to meet. Generally though you can be looking at anywhere from £8k to £15k depending on sizes. Hope that helps a little.

Evening,

Cost wise it is difficult to say, as a lot depends on what's existing and what spec it needs to meet. Generally though you can be looking at anywhere from £8k to £15k depending on sizes. Hope that helps a little.
That helps a lot Nick, many thanks/to you and all again for the kind support!!

Reply to HMO Refurbish with 5 bathrooms in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Hey guys I know this ain't plumbing. But some of you may know. I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under the floor tiles one of the floorboards on side of the bath was wet through and almost rotten. So I feel the water has been seeping through that due...
Replies
Views
Took on a HMO a couple of years ago.....8 rooms 3 stories with a shared kitchen and 5 bathrooms. Got a builder in who said it would be possible to put ensuites in every room and he started the work. 6 rooms with ensuites are virtually complete and all throughout he has been saying we can only...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented indirect hot water system to improve pressure in the house. The previous cylinders are in the loft now they’re in the garage next to the boiler. We...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock