Search the forum,

Discuss High oil usage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

G

Geek

Hi,

We've just had an extension built and a new oil boiler installed (Greenstar 25/32 CF /RS). The original oil boiler was a worcester bosch that was at least 15- 20 years old. It used about 1500 litres oil per year.

The new boiler used 1000 litres in its first 3 months and it looks like its continuing that trend. The extension added 2 new rads and under floor heating as well as replacing the copper tank for a new sealed cylinder.

The UFH is set to 21 degrees for 3 hours in a morning and about 5 hours at night. The rest of the time it is set to 16 degrees. The rads come on for the same amount of time as the UFH is at 21 degrees and hot water about the same. Any thoughts anyone. Does that seem right.

I know little about oil, but that increase in usage is stupid new boiler and consumption as more than doubled have you checked for leek in supply line or someone is steeling it.

How big was the old boiler?
Who installed the new one?
Who commissioned the new one?
Whats the square metreage of underfloor?
Whats the boiler stat set too?
Whats your installer say about it?

Well heating on say 8 hours a day boiler running flat out possibly poor insulation
Jet size say .65 gallon an hour
Over 90 days roughly 1000litrs

And all simon asked above too

Last edited by a moderator:
How much extra have you added to the house?

With UFH you are better keeping a more steady temperature constantly than letting it constantly heat up and then cool off.

Thanks for the quick replies.

A few answers...

Oil isn't being stolen as it is well away from any public access and is in a new locked tank. The installer came back and checked the supply pipe doing a pressure test to make sure there were no leaks.

The floor size for the UFH is about 10m x 4m

Not sure what size the old boiler was.
Stat on the front of the boiler is set half way and on the burner is set to 4.

It was installed by an oftec certified plumber who reckons it is fine.

The new extension is stuffed full of insulation which is where the UFH is.

What is Total size of house now
What insulation is in extension
What is the floor sand and cement screen ? What depth what size underfloor pipes?

Last edited by a moderator:
House is now 4 beds (was 3)

Insulation is kingpin not sure what type

Floor is Concrete slab, then kingspan foam type insulation about 3 inches or more deep, then screed poured over the pipes

I would work it out like this.

.65 nozzle boiler timed to be on 8 hours a day, but will probably fire for 3/4 of the time.= 6hours.

.65 x 6=. 3.9 gallon per day ( us gallon)

x 90 days = 351

x 3.78 ( us gallon - litres) =1326 litres in 90 days.

Last edited:
I would work it out like this.

.65 nozzle boiler timed to be on 8 hours a day, but will probably fire for 3/4 of the time.= 6hours.

.65 x 6=. 3.9 gallon per day ( us gallon)

x 90 days = 351

x 3.78 ( us gallon - litres) =1326 litres in 90 days.

Exactly how I did it
Just was being on the low side that's why I said 1000litres

Its always the same with a new boiler. I go to price up a new boiler and somebodys been in before saying they will save over 20% on fuel. Oh no you wont.

The underfloor heating I believe tends to have the boiler running on & off for a very long time as it builds the heat up. It is never cheap.
The boiler heating rads shouldn't be firing 6 out of 8 hours on, unless it is very undersized. First hour is the long burn time, but that would normally be maybe half an hour overall in average weather & the next hour much less, until only a few minutes each hour if heating kept on.

Reply to High oil usage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock