Search the forum,

Discuss high inlet pressure at meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
my girlfriend just moved into a new house and today i was removing the fire, and when i done my usual checks i thought I'd check the inlet pressure as the Boiler kept on cutting off, think it was the pilot light going out. The Pressure at the Meter is 25mbar, is this 2 high?

standing. i just checked it after my tightness test with no appliances on.

i went to one today and the standing pressure at the meter was 58mbar, turned it off and connected the gas supplier

A low pressure gas supply can have the pressure at the ecv up to 75mb although it is normally in the 30's.
The regulators are designed to lock up at a pressure not exceeding 30mb so a standing pressure at the outlet of up to 30mb is acceptable.
A standing pressure test proves nothing other than the regulator is locking up within limits and you have gas.
When the gas flows through the regulator the working pressure should be within the range 23 to 19mb (21+or-2). At low flow rates it will tend to be nearer 23mb.

The one diesel was at today with a standing pressure of 58mb had a faulty regulator which was failing to lock up.

In some areas I have seen the standing pressure being a consistent 25-26 mbar.
Nothing to worry about, as long as your appliance input and operating pressures are not too high which would mean a call to the service provider to have the regulator pressure turned down slightly.

standing pressure is a strange cookie,

as the design of these reg's used is really only limiting overpressurising the system i suppose upon the cease of gas flow. Ultimately the regulator is a mechanical moving part, and can only react so fast. So with as said 70 odd millibar behind it on the trannys side, its no supprise the odd mbar gets through when gas stops flowing. Obviously the higher it is, the more problems will be caused. 21 +-2 is the most important figure i have ever lodged in my head i think.

Depends where you live. Low pressure mains are normaly maxium 75mbar. High usage area's may vary. The supplier shouls provide 21mbars at the meter but are only legally required to provide 12mbars. total nonsense when appilances generaly require 20mbars on the inlet.

In some areas I have seen the standing pressure being a consistent 25-26 mbar.
Nothing to worry about, as long as your appliance input and operating pressures are not too high which would mean a call to the service provider to have the regulator pressure turned down slightly.

Can the regulator not be adjusted by RGI ? always adjusted regulators myself if they are not faulty

Can the regulator not be adjusted by RGI ? always adjusted regulators myself if they are not faulty

as long as you have met1 but technically transco/supplier to rectify as its there plant

I have met1 ,it would not be financially viable to call supplier every time the pressure out whack by a few mbar however if the regulator was suspected faulty that would another story .

Unless you have the permission of the Gas Transporter and a supply of tamper proof seals to re-seal the regulator cover, you should NOT be adjusting the regulator.

Unless you have the permission of the Gas Transporter and a supply of tamper proof seals to re-seal the regulator cover, you should NOT be adjusting the regulator.
Whats the point of met1 then?

MET1 qualifies you to work safely with meters.
You still do not have the authority to break the regulator seal and adjust the regulator.

GSIUR
118 Regulation 14(6) generally restricts the breaking of regulator seals to the gas
transporter or supplier in the particular situation, or someone authorised to act on
their behalf. However, a competent person may adjust a regulator on an individual
appliance, eg to check the correct operating pressure, without the need for
authorisation to break the seal.
119 Any person who breaks a seal should ensure that it is replaced with a suitable
equivalent seal, as soon as the work has been completed.

Last edited:
25? 26? jesus...............?should be 23mbar MAX 19mbar min,

call out transco/national grid
Did you read the thread? It is not unacceptable to have a standing pressure of 25 mbar, this is what the OP is questioning.
The working pressure of 19-23 mbar that everyone should be aware of is not in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to high inlet pressure at meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock