Search the forum,

Discuss Hi guys I am in need of some help, I have a 24 year old Boulter 50/70 utility oil boiler (camray) with a Riello 40 burner. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

The boiler has just been serviced and lots of new parts fitted, On firing up all works fine for approx 15 seconds then the flame cuts out but the motor keeps running, after approx 10 seconds the flame fires up again for 15 seconds and the same thing happens. If I remove the front door/cover of the boiler it all works fine as it should until I refit the door/cover then the same thing happens. It is as if the burner is not getting enough air/oxygen. The boiler has a balanced flue which I have checked and there is no blockage. Do any of you clever chaps have an idea of what could be causing this and where I should be looking.

If you take the balanced flue snorkel off does the boiler continue to run without fault?
Can't remove it without forcing it and I don't want to damage it. However I have removed the flat plate from the outside of the balanced flue , it has a small hole in it for the engineer to insert the probe (hope that makes sense to you) and now the boiler is working fine just as it should. when it has cooled down I will refit the plate and see if the fault returns.

DIY service, the engineer that used to service it retired and has since passed away, I have contacted two others and because of the age they just wanted to sell me a new boiler.

Yet you say it's just been serviced and new parts fitted.

Dont be fobbed off with the new boiler spiel, yes they are more efficient but it's not cost effective to swap a boiler just on those grounds.

I try to get my customers to keep the older boilers, far more robust, and only look at replacing them if its costing a lot of money to maintain or the shell bursts.

Find a good engineer and go from there, oh and stop playing with a combustion device that could kill you and your family.

If it was a diy service I assume you don’t have a flue gas analyser. Difficult to set them up without one. Get a service engineer. Nothing wrong with the Riello 40 burners. I have the same. Where are you?

If it was a diy service I assume you don’t have a flue gas analyser. Difficult to set them up without one. Get a service engineer. Nothing wrong with the Riello 40 burners. I have the same. Where are you?
No I don't have an analyser I need to find somebody who can do it for me but everybody seems very busy at the moment. I am near Redruth in Cornwall.

Yet you say it's just been serviced and new parts fitted.

Dont be fobbed off with the new boiler spiel, yes they are more efficient but it's not cost effective to swap a boiler just on those grounds.

I try to get my customers to keep the older boilers, far more robust, and only look at replacing them if its costing a lot of money to maintain or the shell bursts.

Find a good engineer and go from there, oh and stop playing with a combustion device that could kill you and your family.
Yes I serviced and fitted the parts myself they are easy to find on the internet. I am a retired aircraft engineer so have some engineering knowledge. I would like to keep my boiler going for as long as possible because it has been very reliable up to now.

Yes I serviced and fitted the parts myself they are easy to find on the internet. I am a retired aircraft engineer so have some engineering knowledge. I would like to keep my boiler going for as long as possible because it has been very reliable up to now.

My sister is an aircraft technician, so I know all too well the level of understanding someone in that field has. However a good engineer knows when they are out of their depth, especially when you don't have the one thing crucial to setting up a fuel burning appliance, the flue gas analyser. Based on the above I'm pretty certain you are recirculating POC (products of combustion). I appreciate you are struggling to find a decent engineer but playing with parts and without the proper equipment there could be all sorts of gremlins going on inside. I suggest going on the OFTEC website and searching for technicians in your area, oil is very common in your area, you should have no problem finding someone. With regards to your boiler, they don't make them like they used to, parts are still readily available for your burner, however significant improvements in fuel efficiency would happen when you decide to get your boiler replaced.

What parts you fitted? And more importantly why?

My sister is an aircraft technician, so I know all too well the level of understanding someone in that field has. However a good engineer knows when they are out of their depth, especially when you don't have the one thing crucial to setting up a fuel burning appliance, the flue gas analyser. Based on the above I'm pretty certain you are recirculating POC (products of combustion). I appreciate you are struggling to find a decent engineer but playing with parts and without the proper equipment there could be all sorts of gremlins going on inside. I suggest going on the OFTEC website and searching for technicians in your area, oil is very common in your area, you should have no problem finding someone. With regards to your boiler, they don't make them like they used to, parts are still readily available for your burner, however significant improvements in fuel efficiency would happen when you decide to get your boiler replaced.
A friend of mine has given me the details of an engineer that they have used and recommend, I will contact him and see if he can fit me in I know they are all busy at the moment, if not I will try the OFTEC website as you suggest, thank you for your help I need to get it sorted soon as winter is appon us.

What parts you fitted? And more importantly why?
Motor because it was making a noise and running very slowly, capacitor because old one had a split in it, control box because it was the original one fitted and bits of the plastic cover had broken off because of age and heat, it was very brittle. and a new nozzle and photocell because of age. also a new green flexi oil pipe.

Reply to Hi guys I am in need of some help, I have a 24 year old Boulter 50/70 utility oil boiler (camray) with a Riello 40 burner. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock