Search the forum,

Discuss Hi from the Midlands, Introduction in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, Just joined. I am an enthusiastic DIYer, having recently retired and now have more time for home projects. Currently tackling a central heating system that I entrusted to the 'professionals' over 30+ years and 3 extensions. Now realise I should have been more interested in what they were doing as its a mixture of 22mm, 15mm, 10mm and small bore pipe - the small bore is a nightmare .... will post more on that in the main threads ....

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have got a bit of everything there!

Thanks Lou Certainly have and I have been at it for over 2 months now. The small bore pipe to 4 radiators was completely clogged up. One radiator stone cold , other barely luke warm. Those plumbers that bothered to quote said ‘power flush’ but would not guarantee any success. So I tackled it myself ripped up the floor boards and traced back the small bore that joined on the 15mm pipe. Bought some small guage garden wire and began rodding the pipes from the kitchen. Eventually managed to get it up 8 foot , still no water flow. Then rodded down from above. After 5 hours of rodding each 8 foot pipe length I broke through !Did this for all 4 radiators , both flow and return. I reassembled and ran cleaner through for 2 weeks. Drained and out inhibitor in. After a few days all 4 radiators clogged again !
So I fitted a magnaclean to the flow on one of the radiators and wow 🤩 what a difference it made to catching the magnetite before it enters the flow pipe into the radiators.
Now just got to attach another magnaclean two other radiators that are served by the same bit of pipe and hopefully that will solve the problem.
The last radiator I will tackle later.
Fortunately I have enough space between the ceiling and the floor boards to fit a magnaclean.
Would appreciate forum members opinions on whether I should have done anything different !
And the answer was not to move house !
What a nightmare it’s been !

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have got a bit of everything there!
Repost as I cant find an edit button to tidy up my post! Apologies.
Thanks Lou Certainly have and I have been at it for over 2 months now. The small bore pipe to 4 radiators was completely clogged up. One radiator stone cold , others barely luke warm. Those plumbers that bothered to quote said ‘power flush’ but would not guarantee any success. So I tackled it myself, ripped up the floor boards and traced back the small bore that joined onto the 15mm pipe in the upstairs (under the floor boards). Opened the pipe from the 15mm to small bore connection and out glugged what you see in the picture - it was an inch thick! Bought some small guage garden wire and began rodding the pipes from the kitchen. Eventually managed to get the wire up 8 foot , but still no water flow. Then rodded down from above. After 5 hours of rodding each 8 foot pipe length I broke through ! Did this for all 4 radiators , both flow and return. I reassembled and ran cleaner through for 2 weeks. Drained and put inhibitor in. After a few days all 4 radiators clogged again !
So I fitted a magnaclean to the flow on one of the radiators and wow 🤩 what a difference it made to catching the magnetite before it entered the flow pipe into the radiators.
Now just got to attach another magnaclean to two other radiators that are served by the same bit of pipe and hopefully that will solve the problem.
The last radiator I will tackle later.
Fortunately I have enough space between the ceiling and the floor boards upstairs to fit a magnaclean (I dont use the drain hole in the magnaclean but a large syringe to empty the container and the magnaclean stands vertical no problem!).
Would appreciate forum members opinions on whether I should have done anything different ! Has this solution been used before!
And the answer was not to move house !
What a nightmare it’s been !
magnetite.jpg

Reply to Hi from the Midlands, Introduction in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I'm after some advice for a current system which I'm looking to replumb. Our house has had various extensions of heating system with newbuild extension and other additional rads over the years and now the system is inefficient and doesn't heat up consistently. In the extension, because the...
Replies
Views
Sandy Rivers
S
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
The small bore pipe to 4 radiators was completely clogged up. One radiator stone cold , others barely luke warm. Those plumbers that bothered to quote said ‘power flush’ but would not guarantee any success. So I tackled it myself, ripped up the floor boards and traced back the small bore that...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock