Search the forum,

Discuss Hi Everyone! Advice for Teacher looking at a career change? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

knightandy

Hi,

I'm a technology teacher (woodwork/metalwork etc.) aged 43, looking at training to be a plumber.

I am considering doing a course run by a firm called 'The Trades Gateway' which covers:
[h=4]Domestic Plumbing and Heating Installer[/h]
  • City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma (6035) in Plumbing Studies
  • BPEC 1999 Water Regulations
  • NVQ Level 2 on completion of portfolio of evidence of on-site work
Domestic Plumber

• City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma (6035) in Plumbing Studies
  • BPEC Part P Defined Scope Domestic Electrical Qualification
  • BPEC Energy Efficiency Certificate
  • CSkills/BPEC Domestic Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems Certificate
  • NVQ Level 3 on completion of portfolio of evidence of on-site work

Anyone know if these are worthwhile (will the qualifications give me what I need to get started?)

I have a plumber friend who will let me be his slave to get experience and hands on training too.

Knightandy,
I too am 43, been in the Navy for 25 years and just joined this forum earlier. I saw your thread and thought I may be able to help; I am in my second year as an apprentice (since being de-mobbed) at Canterbury College. I attend one day a week and work for a local company, this is a must as you need evidence for your folio, it is my intention to proceed with NVQ level 3 next year.
As I understand it, level 2 is intermediate, this will allow you to work on plumbing and heating systems, not gas or un-vented! But once at this level you can (as long as you have some experience) start to work towards Gas Safe accreditation; I believe you need 90 hours of supervised gas work logged and a 4 day course will cost around £800. If you complete level 3 NVQ you will be able to start your own business, you will be qualified on un-vented (Gas Safe is seperate still) and more doors will open to you (so Im led to belive). Of course experience is required, I wouldnt advise starting your own bussiness the day you get your certificate!
It's a long slog, it will be four years for me until level 3 is achieved and it aint easy; I have a family to support and the "man" dont help older students, its all off your own back (pocket)! Further advice will be forthcoming I'm sure but for now, thats my 2 pennies. I wish you luck and hope to acquire some assistance [on this forum] from you in the future... When you will know more than me!

Kind regards, Andybraz.

Qualifications aside I'd consider what you are planning to do very seriously. Salary wise I wouldn't expect much more if any then you currently get but with little or no pension.

Job satisfaction isn't all it's cracked up to be everyone seems to think they can get it cheaper else where and quiet often do. Don't get me wrong I and most of us enjoy the job but gone are the days of a tradesmen being a respected skill set.

Many thanks for the helpful advice Andybraz. The course I’mlooking at requires me to attend college for 5 weeks during level 1, 5 weeks in level 2 then do my 90 hours withone of their contractors when I can fit it in. As I teach, I can do these duringschool holidays which means I can still work full time and not have to strugglefinancially (apart from paying for the course!) Working odd weekends and daysin holidays for my plumber friend will also help me get practical experience.
I know it will not be a walk in the park, but I very keen todo it. Once qualified I hope to start doing plumbing jobs in holidays and weekendsto build up experience and reputation, then teach part time perhaps for a bitbefore going full time plumbing.
Its something I’ve thought about for a while, and need to doit now before I’m too old! Its good to know there’s someone else as old as medoing it. I’m sure I’ll be in touch to compare notes!
Cheers.

Sounds like you have done some good thinking then. Too many people have a water leak and pay a plumber £60+ per hour to fix it and then think I would love to be on £60 per hour not taking into consideration all the expenses like Tools, insurance, travel, Van, etc.

here's a read on surveyed earnings Wage slaves: plumbers | Money | The Guardian

Most of the money is going self employed but you need a customer base and will likely have to spend on some basic marketing

Why is it always Plumbing that people want to get into ? Please don't just jump into this game cos it looks a nice thing to do, Try giving someone a hand on a building site in winter, Working in occupied houses that are so bad it makes you want to throw up, have to put up with not to good wages, never certain if you will be in a job next week, Constant paying out for training, Tool replacement, etc. 20 years ago it used to be a good job! now all you get is price cuts if self employed customers always wanting jobs done for next to nothing, not very good job security, if your lucky you may get someone to give you a job, but don't hold your breath Sorry if it sounds doom & Gloom , but I've been doing s job for longer than you have been on the planet, you need to take a step back and think what you expect to get from it, other than a bad back & knees, Get rich ? very much doubt it !! Look a the bad points of the job, then think ! Do I want to do that, Grass not always greener, But Best of Luck

Im sure theres plastering..electrical and car mechanic forums just as busy with the same questions. :)

10 weeks and 90 hours, is that all it takes these days.

If you have somebody who you can work for as you say then it will be easier as that is the biggest hurdle.

Only thing that lets the job down is ungrateful little oiks like me would be there. School stopped phoning and sending letters home about my constant absence as it ment stuff actually got done and people could get on. Fair to say I was a wretched child. But likeable.

Only thing that lets the job down is ungrateful little oiks like me would be there. School stopped phoning and sending letters home about my constant absence as it ment stuff actually got done and people could get on. Fair to say I was a wretched child. But likeable.

So now your just unlikeable and dont have to go to school :)

strange you cant get on a fast track brain surgeons couse as i quite fancy that as a career change .From the bits ive seen ive already got the drill and some hole saws so im half way there

I am also considering signing up for this coarse just want some advise before I do as its a lot of money, did you go for it in the end? Is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi Everyone! Advice for Teacher looking at a career change? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. I have experience working in general property maintenance for a family business. I have completed a Level 2 technical...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am a junior plumber based in South East London (Zone 1), but can get to most areas quite easily. In terms of Qualifications I have completed level 2 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating with 1 years experience working as an emergency response engineer primarily carrying out maintenance...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m looking for work as a trainee/mate. I live in Lancashire and attended college in Leeds so don’t mind travelling anywhere in the north west. I’m looking to complete my NVQ portfolio the jobs I require On site observation with the college assessor: Health & Safety x2 Installation of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just recently completed my Level 2 City & Guilds Plumbing Course and am now looking for bit of work / experience working alongside an experience plumber to further my knowledge, I am 33, based in Brentwood, Essex and have tools and car. I have done a few domestic jobs for friends and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hope this is ok to post here but I’m really struggling to get any responses from anyone. I am a 36 year old from just outside of Maidstone who has recently decided to retrain with the hope of eventually starting a career in the domestic plumbing and heating industry (looking to get...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock