Search the forum,

Discuss Hi all, in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, just had my annual gas safety check as i live in rented accomodation owned by local authority. I have recently qualified in gas ( domestic ) after a few years out of the industry. I decided to check the boiler inlet working pressure which i recorded at 15.5 mbar at maximum output ( hot water ). I mentioned this to him. After the safety check was carried out he told me he had checked the working inlet pressure and it was just shy of 17 mbar, all depends what is being delivered at the meter at the time he said.The combustion ratio was within acceptable levels so the pressure is not having any adverse affect on combustion. Any way just out of curiosity ( i'm not a cat) i checked it again and recorded 15.5 mbar. M.i's state that if pressure lies outside the 17 - 25 mbar range ( NG ) then do not put into servive. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated, thanks.

You can’t test from the gas valve point vailants can have a massive pressure drop

How much 22mm between meter and boiler? Just 3m and 7 fittings you mention? If so, pipe size is fine.

Where did you measure? At internal gas valve or under boiler (does this boiler have a test point on the gas isolation valve?).

As Shaun said, if measured internally, you can lose 2-3mb due to internal restrictions.

You are 2 mbar shy at the gas meter test point so that's not helping , as a rule cut a test point in the gas supply before the gas valve on the boiler, as the guys have said there can be pressure loss through the valve . Kop

How much 22mm between meter and boiler? Just 3m and 7 fittings you mention? If so, pipe size is fine.

Where did you measure? At internal gas valve or under boiler (does this boiler have a test point on the gas isolation valve?).

As Shaun said, if measured internally, you can lose 2-3mb due to internal restrictions.
Hi, pipework run is 6.5 meters between meter outlet and appliance inlet. There is no test point at isolation valve.

Appologise for wrong pipe sizing, equivilant Length is 15.3 meters with all fittings taken into account and actual pipe run of 8.1 meters if this makes a difference. Thanks for all your help.

Appologise for wrong pipe sizing, equivilant Length is 15.3 meters with all fittings taken into account and actual pipe run of 8.1 meters if this makes a difference. Thanks for all your help.
31kw can go about 15m equivilant in 22mm, so the pipe size is just about ok.

I’d bet the engineer just added 1.5mb to the 15.5mb reading due to the pressure loss through the gas valve.

31kw can go about 15m equivilant in 22mm, so the pipe size is just about ok.

I’d bet the engineer just added 1.5mb to the 15.5mb reading due to the pressure loss through the gas valve.
Thanks for the reply, i was not aware of the pressure loss through the gas valve. If this is an issue then why don't all manufacturers include a test point at the isolation valve?

Thanks for the reply, i was not aware of the pressure loss through the gas valve. If this is an issue then why don't all manufacturers include a test point at the isolation valve?
Some do/some don’t. Guess it all comes down to cost.
I add them during install.

If you call the manufacturer technical they will tell you the expected pressure loss through the valve, different boilers from the same manufacturer can have different pressure losses.

This also has resistance (test point in the valve)

Reply to Hi all, in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock