Search the forum,

Discuss Hi all Radiator heat problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

olis

Hiya all ive just joined the forum had a quick look around hoping for someone to point me in the right direction.

My old dear is away for awhile and due to this freezing weather at the moment i need to try and fix the problem

Basically i have got a Hunter fire with back boiler, the system does have a pump but for awhile now the radiators have only been getting luke warm. There are 4 pipe leading to and from the fire and with a roaring fire (solid fuels) the pipe are not getting hot again only luke warm. It is every radiator in the house not just any specific area. We do have hot water no problem.

Any ideas where to start ive not got any ideas on where to look and what to do.

could possibly be 3 port valve stuck

trying not to sound really stupid but im going to sorry where abouts do you think i can find the 3 port valve i shall go and have a look, is there certain way i can find out if its working

How clean is the stove? Soot is a fantastic deflector (can't think of the opposite of conductor!) of heat. With oil stoves if they're dirty/soot it affects the radiator heat.

How clean is the stove? Soot is a fantastic deflector (can't think of the opposite of conductor!) of heat. With oil stoves if they're dirty/soot it affects the radiator heat.

is not actually to bad i does need a clean but i dont think that is it. i shall try and give it a proper clean tomorrow before it is lit.

Just waiting for Puddle to come along and say it's Bus Driver!!

:p

just taken afew photos of the system etc. just found the pump behind a little hatch i can here what sounds like its working but none of the pipe are warm as per usual

switch emution on we have hot water (excuse hauding mothers mess)
DSC_1038.jpg

fireplace with all four pipe incoming and outgoing with pump located just above in little hatch sound like its working but no hot pipes anywhere.
DSC_1040.jpg

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1042.jpg

DSC_1044.jpg

not sure of this give anyone anymore to think about probably not but thought i may aswell get a couple of snaps

Not seen one of those for a few years. These were very reliable pumps but they are easily stopped as they are not direct driven but work magnetically.
There may be a bit dirt in the pump at the impeller side but it will need removing to clean it. You will need a pair of pump washers to do this.
Turn off the valves either side and release the big nuts on the pump. That is the hard bit as it will near certain have fibre washers and be hard to move.
If you get it out clean in through the bore and make sure the impeller spins freely.
Next strip the head off, 4 screws (not the 3 star ones on the top, leave these) and clean the plate with some steel wool and wipe down then build back together.
Cleaning the head itself may work.

thanks for the advice its was all install 25 years ago when the house was built. I was born here and dont remeber it being changed so quite old yer. I will try and give the cleaning a go do you think this maybe the cause of what could be hardly any hot water getting around the system

They are easily stopped with a bit dirt. The good thing is this won't cause them to burn out. It may feel like it is working but it may only be turning slow and sticking.
If stripping it doesn't work it is a new pump. Any 15/50 will do, set to as low a setting as you can.

smc ultimately went bust for two reasons there products were to reliable and an employee left starting a company called grundfoss

is the pipes to the pump all the same temp?.

is there water in header tank- has it frozen?.

is there an air lock/knacked pupm.

is the pipes to the pump all the same temp?.

is there water in header tank- has it frozen?.

is there an air lock/knacked pupm.

ive not been up in the loft yet to check headed will go up tomorrow, i thought might be airlock but ill have a crack as cleaning up the pump

think i'll go for blocked feed (one way or t'other) to pump, ie. frozen, blocked, dry pump not circulating. especially if temp at pump pipe are same.

Red it won't be the feed as the water is heating fine. It will be higher than the lowest rads.
It is the pump.

ahh, you mean its passively heating and not circulating then?

i have had a dry pump with blocked feed a few times though with luke warm rads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi all Radiator heat problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock